Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho 5.01 CE - How to browse the jackrabbit repository?

Default Pentaho 5.01 CE - How to browse the jackrabbit repository?

Pentaho5 didn't store content in the pentaho-solutions folder anymore.

Instead of using OS folders it uses a content repository (jcr) called Apache Jackrabbit.

Is there a way to browse Pentaho 5 repository outside pentaho user console?

I've found several open source jcr browsers but I didn't figure out how to connect them to Pentaho repository.

Thanks,

carles.

I would be interested in this as well!

I have tried using jackrabbit-standalone pointing to the file based repository, but haven't quite managed to make it work

If I run
    Code:
    java -jar jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar -cp .;h2-1.2.131.jar;pentaho-platform-repository-5.0.1-stable.jar -p 8082
    with a pentaho jackrabbit directory (from a biserver 5.0.1 ce pentaho-solutions/system) in the same folder it fires up, but I get the following error in the jackrabbit/log/jackrabbit.log file:

Code:
    2014-01-14 14:32:46.633 INFO  [main] RepositoryImpl.java:257           Starting repository...
    2014-01-14 14:32:46.664 INFO  [main] LocalFileSystem.java:164          LocalFileSystem initialized at path jackrabbit\repository
    2014-01-14 14:32:47.235 ERROR [main] RepositoryImpl.java:367           failed to start Repository: http://www.pentaho.org/jcr/nt/2.0: is not a registered namespace uri.
    javax.jcr.NamespaceException: http://www.pentaho.org/jcr/nt/2.0: is not a registered namespace uri.
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.NamespaceRegistryImpl.getPrefix(NamespaceRegistryImpl.java:490) ~[jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.nodetype.NodeTypeRegistry.checkNamespace(NodeTypeRegistry.java:1359) ~[jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.nodetype.NodeTypeRegistry.validateNodeTypeDef(NodeTypeRegistry.java:1456) ~[jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.nodetype.NodeTypeRegistry.internalRegister(NodeTypeRegistry.java:1313) ~[jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.nodetype.NodeTypeRegistry.internalRegister(NodeTypeRegistry.java:1262) ~[jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.nodetype.NodeTypeRegistry.<init>(NodeTypeRegistry.java:766) ~[jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.createNodeTypeRegistry(RepositoryImpl.java:409) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.<init>(RepositoryImpl.java:273) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryImpl.create(RepositoryImpl.java:614) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.core.RepositoryContext.create(RepositoryContext.java:157) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.servlet.jackrabbit.JackrabbitRepositoryServlet.init(JackrabbitRepositoryServlet.java:109) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:241) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.initServlet(ServletHolder.java:440) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.doStart(ServletHolder.java:263) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.initialize(ServletHandler.java:685) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.Context.startContext(Context.java:140) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.startContext(WebAppContext.java:1250) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.doStart(ContextHandler.java:517) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.doStart(WebAppContext.java:467) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:50) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RequestLogHandler.doStart(RequestLogHandler.java:115) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.doStart(HandlerWrapper.java:130) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.doStart(Server.java:224) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.standalone.Main.run(Main.java:173) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
        at org.apache.jackrabbit.standalone.Main.main(Main.java:60) [jackrabbit-standalone-2.7.3.jar:na]
    2014-01-14 14:32:47.236 INFO  [main] RepositoryImpl.java:1085          Shutting down repository...
    We are having a problem getting 5.0.1 to correctly initialise the jackrabbit repository on a clean install pointing at oracle tables - something about "/pentaho/tenant0" not existing If only we could see in the repository!!!

I am also trying to figure this one out.

We are struggling with the same issues ... and are new to Jackrabbit.

Are we able to enable the JCR RMI component ?
    Some Browsers ( e.g. jackrabbitexplorer ) could be able to connect then ???

Any ideas ?

FYI this is the source code for the Pentaho Repository Synchronizer, I havent had much time to look through it, but I would assume it may have some valuable information to this topic https://github.com/webdetails/repositorySynchronizer.

i would also be interested in getting the jackrabbitexplorer working on a pentaho repository, does anyone know more about the topic?

Hi guys. You have several options.

I recommend you start here:
    http://javadoc.pentaho.com/bi-platfo...webservice500/

and here. This latter one uses REST calls to see what's in the repository
    http://javadoc.pentaho.com/bi-platfo...eResource.html

People here seem to want direct access to it, like me. I know that the JCR from apache supports Webdav protocol, but I think there is a layer in front of it that helped Pentaho adapt it for their usage. One of the posters tried to do the JCR standalone. The configuration files for the JCR are in pentaho-solutions/system/jackrabbit All that tenant stuff and more of the critical configuration files are in

pentaho-solutions/system/repository.spring.properties and another file that is named similarly.

The source code for the Jackrabbit repository is located here
    https://github.com/pentaho/pentaho-p...ter/repository

I would encourage all of you to update to the latest Pentaho BA server version if you can. 5.2.0.0-209 is out there on sourceforge and you could build 5.2.1.0-148 from source.
    5.0 and 5.1 are very buggy.

I have an interest in pursuing a solution that allows connectivity with Webdav. I am researching this as part of another project that supports jackrabbit (Saiku). Saiku's repository is mountable via Webdav and let's us get directly at the files we want.

Also if any of you want access to the /etc/ directory within your repository, but is within code, off-limits because it stores usernames and passwords for data connections, let me know. There is a one line patch that you can apply to your server. Just beware what I mentioned about the possibility of exposing datasource passwords to your BI Server users.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoodo View Post
    Hi guys. You have several options.

I recommend you start here:
    http://javadoc.pentaho.com/bi-platfo...webservice500/

and here. This latter one uses REST calls to see what's in the repository
    http://javadoc.pentaho.com/bi-platfo...eResource.html

People here seem to want direct access to it, like me. I know that the JCR from apache supports Webdav protocol, but I think there is a layer in front of it that helped Pentaho adapt it for their usage. One of the posters tried to do the JCR standalone. The configuration files for the JCR are in pentaho-solutions/system/jackrabbit All that tenant stuff and more of the critical configuration files are in

pentaho-solutions/system/repository.spring.properties and another file that is named similarly.

The source code for the Jackrabbit repository is located here
    https://github.com/pentaho/pentaho-p...ter/repository

I would encourage all of you to update to the latest Pentaho BA server version if you can. 5.2.0.0-209 is out there on sourceforge and you could build 5.2.1.0-148 from source.
    5.0 and 5.1 are very buggy.

I have an interest in pursuing a solution that allows connectivity with Webdav. I am researching this as part of another project that supports jackrabbit (Saiku). Saiku's repository is mountable via Webdav and let's us get directly at the files we want.

Also if any of you want access to the /etc/ directory within your repository, but is within code, off-limits because it stores usernames and passwords for data connections, let me know. There is a one line patch that you can apply to your server. Just beware what I mentioned about the possibility of exposing datasource passwords to your BI Server users.
    Can you please indicate what's the line patch to expose the /etc/ repository?

Quote Originally Posted by virgilerin View Post
    Can you please indicate what's the line patch to expose the /etc/ repository?
    Just in case nobody guessed the answer to this question, the easiest way to configure files and repository is by using REST services. Someone answered above with good references to Pentaho REST api service.

A direct answer to this question is that you should create a http REST PUT request against Pentaho Server (using tools like curl or if you appreciate Google Chrome, something like Advanced Rest Client, etc.) using the following URL:

[localhost:8080/pentaho/api/repo/dirs/:new_directory_name?userid=admin&password=password]

Pentaho repository directory REST api is documented here: http://javadoc.pentaho.com/bi-platfo...yResource.html
    It's worthy to spend some time reading REST API documentation.
    Last edited by paulorf; 05-15-2015 at 06:20 PM.