Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error upgrading repository from 4.4.0 to 5.0.1

Angry Error upgrading repository from 4.4.0 to 5.0.1

I've just downloaded pdi501, duplicated my repo db, created a new connection to repository and tried to upgrade the repository using the button create or upgrade...

The first error I encountered is
    Code:
    Unable to create or modify table R_VERSION

Couldn't execute SQL: ALTER TABLE R_VERSION ALTER COLUMN IS_UPGRADE BIT

Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'N' to data type bit.
    This is obvious in my mind because the column IS_UPGRADE contains values like Y or N that, if I'm not wrong, can't be saved in a BIT field.

Can you help me?

Hi,

The way I did it :-

1) Create new empty repo using 5.0.1
    2) Export 4.4.0 repo
    3) Import into 5.0.1

Worked for me.
    PDI 8.0.0
    MySQL - 5.6.27
    Redshift - 1.0.1485
    PostgreSQL 8.0.2
    OS - Ubuntu 10.04.2

Quote Originally Posted by tnewman View Post
    Hi,

The way I did it :-

1) Create new empty repo using 5.0.1
    2) Export 4.4.0 repo
    3) Import into 5.0.1

Worked for me.
    I'm going to try, thank you... I'm feeling a bit silly

I tried, but the error raise up also when I try to make a new repository, could be a setting in the creation of database?
    SQL executed: ALTER TABLE R_REPOSITORY_LOG ALTER COLUMN LOG_DATE DATETIME

SQL executed: ALTER TABLE R_VERSION ALTER COLUMN UPGRADE_DATE DATETIME

Error while executing: INSERT INTO R_VERSION(ID_VERSION, MAJOR_VERSION, MINOR_VERSION, UPGRADE_DATE, IS_UPGRADE) VALUES (1,5,0,'2014/01/20 10:44:29.912','N')
    org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:

Couldn't execute SQL: INSERT INTO R_VERSION(ID_VERSION, MAJOR_VERSION, MINOR_VERSION, UPGRADE_DATE, IS_UPGRADE) VALUES (1,5,0,'2014/01/20 10:44:29.912','N')

3 SQL statements executed

org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException: Couldn't execute SQL: INSERT INTO R_VERSION(ID_VERSION, MAJOR_VERSION, MINOR_VERSION, UPGRADE_DATE, IS_UPGRADE) VALUES (1,5,0,'2014/01/20 10:44:29.912','N')

at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.execStatement(Database.java:1432)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.execStatement(Database.java:1380)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.core.database.dialog.SQLEditor.exec(SQLEditor.java:362)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.core.database.dialog.SQLEditor.access$200(SQLEditor.java:80)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.core.database.dialog.SQLEditor$7.handleEvent(SQLEditor.java:221)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.kdr.KettleDatabaseRepositoryDialog.open(KettleDatabaseRepositoryDialog.java:320)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.kdr.KettleDatabaseRepositoryDialog.open(KettleDatabaseRepositoryDialog.java:75)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.RepositoriesHelper.newRepository(RepositoriesHelper.java:117)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.controllers.RepositoriesController.newRepository(RepositoriesController.java:273)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulDomContainer.invoke(AbstractXulDomContainer.java:329)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulComponent.invoke(AbstractXulComponent.java:139)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulComponent.invoke(AbstractXulComponent.java:123)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.swt.tags.SwtButton.access$300(SwtButton.java:26)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.swt.tags.SwtButton$2.mouseUp(SwtButton.java:87)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:820)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:796)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.xul.KettleDialog.show(KettleDialog.java:53)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.xul.KettleDialog.show(KettleDialog.java:20)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.controllers.RepositoriesController.show(RepositoriesController.java:194)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.repository.RepositoriesDialog.show(RepositoriesDialog.java:102)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.selectRep(Spoon.java:7155)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:7316)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.createContents(Spoon.java:8657)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:426)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:785)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.start(Spoon.java:8672)
    at org.pentaho.di.ui.spoon.Spoon.main(Spoon.java:625)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)
    at org.pentaho.commons.launcher.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:134)
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Conversion failed when converting the varchar value 'N' to data type bit.
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.SQLDiagnostic.addDiagnostic(SQLDiagnostic.java:368)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.tdsErrorToken(TdsCore.java:2820)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.nextToken(TdsCore.java:2258)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.TdsCore.getMoreResults(TdsCore.java:632)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.processResults(JtdsStatement.java:584)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeSQL(JtdsStatement.java:546)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeImpl(JtdsStatement.java:723)
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.execute(JtdsStatement.java:1160)
    at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.execStatement(Database.java:1406)
    ... 44 more

I think that the problem is in the script that is produced by the Create new Repository feature:
    CREATE TABLE R_VERSION
    (
    ID_VERSION BIGINT PRIMARY KEY
    , MAJOR_VERSION INT
    , MINOR_VERSION INT
    , UPGRADE_DATE DATETIME
    , IS_UPGRADE BIT
    )
    ;

INSERT INTO R_VERSION(ID_VERSION, MAJOR_VERSION, MINOR_VERSION, UPGRADE_DATE, IS_UPGRADE) VALUES (1,5,0,'2014/01/20 11:09:19.791','N');

The script before declares a Table where is_upgrade is a BIT field, than tries to insert in a char value... is there some settings that allow this thing?

I have searched in the creation script and I counted 26 occurences of BIT fields... I can make some substitution with Char(1) but I don't know if I make a mess... someone that can help me?

Thanks
    Last edited by sanzo77; 01-20-2014 at 06:19 AM.

No one that can help me?

I'm facing the same issue. Any solution for that?

Hi Kroma,
    I've made 2 substitutions before execute the script for the creation of the new repo. I've changed BIT in CHAR(1) in the 2 tables where the script want to insert the value 'Y' or 'N' (I've looked for these two values and found the fields to change).
    The repository now is created and I'm importing from xml the old repo (version 4.4), I'll update here if there will be some problems.

I can say that everything is gone ok with the 2 subs that I've done. I can suggest you to try to do the same and test some jobs/transformations.

Default Switching to CHAR(1) seems the correct thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by sanzo77 View Post
    Hi Kroma,
    I've made 2 substitutions before execute the script for the creation of the new repo. I've changed BIT in CHAR(1) in the 2 tables where the script want to insert the value 'Y' or 'N' (I've looked for these two values and found the fields to change).
    The repository now is created and I'm importing from xml the old repo (version 4.4), I'll update here if there will be some problems.
    In my case the Repository creation sql contained 'BOOLEAN' fields. I'm using biserver-ce-5.1:

Code:
    CREATE TABLE R_VERSION
    (
      ID_VERSION BIGINT NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
    , MAJOR_VERSION INT
    , MINOR_VERSION INT
    , UPGRADE_DATE DATETIME
    , IS_UPGRADE BOOLEAN
    )
    ;

INSERT INTO R_VERSION(ID_VERSION, MAJOR_VERSION, MINOR_VERSION, UPGRADE_DATE, IS_UPGRADE) VALUES (1,5,0,'2014/08/29 10:57:40.468','N');

Reading http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/...aMySQLdatabase it appears that replacing BOOLEAN fields with CHAR(1) in the Repository Creation SQL seems the correct thing to do. In MySQL 5.0 - current 5.7 BOOLEAN fields are TINYINTS and cannot accept char values.

Wilbert

Working through this a bit more. When I uncheck the identifier 'Supports the boolean datatype' in the Advanced tab of the database connection, Kettle is doing the right thing.