Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: is there any current or planned support for Redshift using Mondrian?

Default is there any current or planned support for Redshift using Mondrian?

looking for any information on whether Mondrian can be used to query AWS Redshift? Although Redshift is a Postgres cluster, looks like there are some query differences that would likely impact the use of Mondrian/MDX library.

thanks!

Charles

We have added a dialect specific to RedShift inside of Mondrian over a year ago. You can use postgres driver to connect to RedShift. Let us know if you find any issues.
    Luc Boudreau
    aka. Luc le Magnifique
    aka. Monsieur Oui Oui

Lead Engineer, Pentaho Corporation
    Web: http://devdonkey.blogspot.com
    Twitter: luclemagnifique
    IRC: Monsieur_Oui_Oui@freenode

Similar question.
    I am using a Pentaho 5.0.4 server on a aws linux ec2 instance. I can develop interactive and analytical reports against redshift using the delivered drivers ( postgresql-9.1-902.jdbc4.jar ).

When I use the schema workbench (v1.6) on a mac with the aws recommended driver ( postgresql-8.4-703.jdbc4.jar ) on my desktop I can see the redshift schemas, but I cannot see the tables underneath. I switch to the pentaho delivered driver ( postgresql-9.1-902.jdbc4.jar ) and same result. The only driver that works is a modified postrgresql driver located here . When I publish this cube to the server I cannot see the cube, and the pentaho.log reports connectivity issues. I am now spinning up a new instance to test this configuration with a published cube since my current install I selected to install uses postgresql as the internal repository.

I am in contact with pentaho sales team as this is an opportunity, I am just looking to see if anyone has similar experience.

Thanks

Have you checked the connection in Data Source Manager? I would want to check what JDBC data source your schema is connected to, and verify test connections succeed from the JDBC connection dialog for that datasource.

Using standard drivers I can connect through jdbc explorer and see the redshift schemas. I do not see tables underneath. When I use the custom driver I have no issues in developing the cube definition. This issue has been raised to engineering. I was looking to see how people were connecting if the recommended drivers were not working (for me).