Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Significant performance difference in executing a transformation locally or via Carte

Default Significant performance difference in executing a transformation locally or via Carte

Hi,

I have seen the following behaviour: I have got a transformation which is performing an Insert/Update at the end and is part of a job. When I am executing the job locally or via Carte, the Insert/Update step achives roundabout 23 r/s (target database is Postgres). But when I am executing the transformation directly on the Carte server, the step has a performance of about 400 r/s.

Is there a specific reason for this performance difference?
    Regards

Bobse

This can occur with network latency/bandwidth. If you have carte installed on a server connected by a gigabit network to the postgres server, it will be much faster than connection through a WAN or LAN out to your personal desktop/laptop. We generally always submit to carte in our development environment as our database server is physically located elsewhere.

Ok, I get that and that is in fact the situation in my setup here. But that still does not explain, why the transformation executes the step on low speed when being run as part of a job on Carte.

Let me give a definite answer to your question then: no, there is no specific reason, it's the exact same transformation execution engine for Spoon, Pan and Carte.