Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pros and cons of using enterprise repository to store jobs and transfrmations PDI5.0

Exclamation Pros and cons of using enterprise repository to store jobs and transfrmations PDI5.0

Hi,

I am planning to use enterprise repository to store jobs and transformations as well as to schedule jobs and transformations using schedule option in spoon in PDI 5.0 .Could u pls explain me the pros and cons of using schedule option in spoon as well as storing jobs in enterprise repository?

Thanks and Regards,
    Fabeena Mary

Compared to what? You didn't say if you were considering any alternative to the Enterprise Repository, so I can't really give you my pros/cons without a basis of comparison.

For our needs, we switched from Enterprise Repository to a file repository (backed by Git version control) a year ago while using PDI version 4.2. Pros of the Enterprise Repository:

- Completely integrated with Spoon
    - Provides integrated scheduling with remote execution

Our cons:

- Enterprise Repository lacks many features of a true VCS (e.g. branching, merge tools)
    - Complex jobs may run significantly slower under Enterprise Repository (could be solved by caching metadata--see PDI-8742)

Without Enterprise Repository, it is still possible to schedule jobs by running kitchen.sh/pan.sh under cron (or the equivalent on Windows).

Exclamation stability and reliablity of using inbuilt Pentaho(Pentaho 5) scheduler

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply.Actually I need to know about the stability and reliablity of using inbuilt Pentaho(Pentaho 5) scheduler available in spoon.Also I am planning to schedule repository objects(stored in enterprise repository) using this scheduler.If you have any suggestions regarding this,pls reply

Thanks ,
    Fabeena