Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Run Job entry in Parallel for multiple result rows

Default Run Job entry in Parallel for multiple result rows

Hi All,

I have a job, JOB1 ( Trans1 -> JOB2). In Trans1 i set some rows to result. I want to run JOB2 for each row so i have checked "Execute for each input row". JOB2 runs serially for each row. So in case there are many rows job will launch for next row only when first row finishes. Wanted to know if there is some way to run JOB2 for result rows in parallel.

Thanks

I guess that you have to create multiple jobs using different input rows :-/
    -- Mick --

Hello Mick,

Could you please elaborate. Say for eg i have 2 rows added to result in transformation 1. Do i have to add 2 job entries pointing to JOB2? In that case, how do i connect the Trans1 and JOB2 such that rows get distributed across the entries instead of both rows going to both entries.

Thanks

I would do something more SIMPLE (and probably too basic for your needs):
    create 2 (or more) identical jobs and then simply change the input file so that each job import only some rows from the same input file.
    For example, job 1 select rows from 1 to 2, job 2 get rows from 3 to 5.. and so on.
    Not very clever, I know, but I can't think of a different way.
    -- Mick --

In Pentaho 5 you have the step called Job Executor in transformations. This step can be the last step in Trans1.
    The 'Change number of copies to start' of the Job Executor step can be increased for parallelism.

If you are not using Pentaho 5 you can use the User Defined Java Class to invoke a job with the required parameters.

And... the number of copies of a step can be set as a variable in version 5!

Any solution Tathagat?