Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Help me about the operation of Kettle (Pentaho Data Integration)

Default Help me about the operation of Kettle (Pentaho Data Integration)

Hi.

My name is Steven, an engineering student. I come from Genoa (Italy).
    Actually I'm trying to write a thesis about the business intelligence. And above all, I try to describe some BI units. Between these there is also Pentaho. The question is this: I know that "Kettle", or "Pentaho Data Integration" is the ETL tool of Pentaho (namely an instrument whereby it's possible to extract, transform and load some information from a common Relational DB to a DWH).

I try to know this: someone of you can describe me the operation of this tool?
    In a simple way, as if you were speaking to a person who knows nothing about Pentaho and about the operation of an ETL tool.

I have already read some tutorial, white papers or documents about Kettle, please don't say to me to read other material. I have need only a simple explanation from you, that you are surely more experienced than me, about this tool and above all about his functioning.

I'm sorry for my scholastic english.

Thank you,

Best regards,

steven

I try to know this: someone of you can describe me the operation of this tool?
    Having done a thesis (years ago!) I can feel your pain, but I doubt that we could tell anything different from Pentaho Wiki or Wikipedia!
    -- Mick --