Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: PDI 3.0.4 and DB2 10.1

Default PDI 3.0.4 and DB2 10.1

Hello,

current we use PDI community version 3.0.4 as ETL tool and we have a DB2 9.5 as database. This year, we want to upgrade our database version to DB2 10.1.

The questions are:
    • Is PDI 3.0.4 compatible with DB2 10.1?
    • If we need to upgrade our PDI, is it possible to upgrade from 3.0.4 to 4.4 or do we have to upgrade to another version at first?
    • Where can I find upgrade manuals for PDI community version?
    • Are there any migration tools for community version?

I am grateful for any response.

Kristin

You are brave enough to upgrade your database, but you shy away from upgrading Kettle?
    PDI 3.04 is ancient, PDI 5.0.1 is current.
    DB compatibility is a matter of drivers in the first place.
    Why don't you just install a new Kettle version and import your old repository from XML?
    I'm not aware of any migration tools, but I'm fairly new to Kettle, started with 4.2.1 a year back.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi Marabu,

we have several JavaScripts and a lot of manual fixes in our PDI version. As I heard, the JavaScripts have to be customized because of the new API in the new PDI version. We can not install a newer PDI version and just migrate the repository because of our repository is also saved in a DB database not in XML files.

You said DB2 compatibility is a matter of drivers. Do you mean JDBC/ODBC driver?

Kristin

Kristin, you will not be able to cling to an old Kettle forever.
    If you try, there will be some point in time where migration cost will explode due to various reasons - no matter how hard Pentaho strives for backward compatibility.
    I don't jump on new versions myself, but I'm sure I will migrate again before the end of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin View Post
    we have several JavaScripts and a lot of manual fixes in our PDI version. As I heard, the JavaScripts have to be customized because of the new API in the new PDI version.
    The API changed substantially from version 2.5 to 3.0 as you can read.
    Even then there was a compatibility switch introduced, so your code won't break.
    That's the theory I must believe, because I started with version 4.2.1 not so long ago.
    If you created JIRA cases for all the bugs you killed in your Kettle installation, there's a chance you don't have to apply the patches again in 4.4.0 or 5.0.1.
    At least you will know what to look for in a new version.

We can not install a newer PDI version and just migrate the repository because of our repository is also saved in a DB database not in XML files.
    Just because you opted for a database repository doesn't mean you can't export it to XML and import it in your new Kettle, does it?

You said DB2 compatibility is a matter of drivers. Do you mean JDBC/ODBC driver?
    I mean JDBC driver.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Hi Kristen,

I have to agree with marabu.

1) Export your current repo to XML - Import into 5.0.1
    2) Start testing one job at a time in the new PDI version - You don't have to have an 'all or nothing' approach.
    3) Fix any errors you find - ask more questions in the forum if needed.
    4) Any fixes you need, can be applied to all other job
    5) You might be surprised how easy it is.

Thanks
    PDI 8.0.0
    MySQL - 5.6.27
    Redshift - 1.0.1485
    PostgreSQL 8.0.2
    OS - Ubuntu 10.04.2