Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Error running BI Server 5.0.1

Default Error running BI Server 5.0.1

I'm having trouble running BI Server 5.0.1. Every time I start the start-pentaho file, the BI Server on localhost:8080 doesn't respond, and eventually times out. I have a few versions of Pentaho on my computer and 5.0.1 is the latest.

The error messages are below and I noticed the H2 TCP Server error with the port possibly in use. I copied down the .jar files from the H2 website into the proper directories and checked the ports with cmdprmpt>netstat -ano but didn't see 9092 in use.

Can someone decipher what my issue is here? Thanks in advance for any response.

Catalina Log File
    INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor pentaho.xml
    Feb 6, 2014 11:32:38 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Error listenerStart
    Feb 6, 2014 11:32:38 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Context [/pentaho] startup failed due to previous errors
    Feb 6, 2014 11:32:38 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] registered the JDBC driver [org.h2.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
    Feb 6, 2014 11:32:38 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [HSQLDB Timer @fd66a5] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.

Localhost Log File
    Feb 6, 2014 11:28:20 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
    INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
    Feb 6, 2014 11:32:38 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
    SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.h2.tools.Server' defined in file [C:\Users\****************\Documents\Pentaho-Applications 5.0.1\BI-Server\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\GettingStartedDB-spring.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Exception opening port "H2 TCP Server (tcp://169.254.31.197:9092)" (port may be in use), cause: "timeout" [90061-131]

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1338)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:473)
    at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    Feb 6, 2014 11:32:38 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
    SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.pentaho.platform.web.http.context.SolutionContextListener
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.h2.tools.Server' defined in file [C:\Users\**************\Documents\Pentaho-Applications 5.0.1\BI-Server\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\GettingStartedDB-spring.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Exception opening port "H2 TCP Server (tcp://169.254.31.197:9092)" (port may be in use), cause: "timeout" [90061-131]

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.initializeBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:1338)
    Caused by: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Exception opening port "H2 TCP Server (tcp://169.254.31.197:9092)" (port may be in use), cause: "timeout" [90061-131]

Pentaho Log File
    2014-02-06 11:32:38,401 ERROR [org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader] Context initialization failed
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.h2.tools.Server' defined in file [C:\Users\****************\Documents\Pentaho-Applications 5.0.1\BI-Server\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\GettingStartedDB-spring.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Exception opening port "H2 TCP Server (tcp://169.254.31.197:9092)" (port may be in use), cause: "timeout" [90061-131]

Default Same here

I experience the same. BiServer 5.0.1 worked just fine two days ago, I have the logs about publishing two reports and running two jobs. I didn't do anything else that day.
    I periodically restart the biserver. This morning, too, I did the same, then left the box. Only later today I noticed that the server is not running. My logs are basically the same as @andrewchantz's, but below is a copy to make sure I didn't miss anything. (Again, same logs.)

Catalina log
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:03 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener init
    INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal performance in production environments was not found on the java.library.path: (...)
    INFO: Initializing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7080
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:03 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
    INFO: Initialization processed in 548 ms
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:03 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService start
    INFO: Starting service Catalina
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:03 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine start
    INFO: Starting Servlet Engine: Apache Tomcat/6.0.36
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:03 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
    INFO: Deploying configuration descriptor pentaho.xml
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:08 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Error listenerStart
    //so far so good..
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:08 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
    SEVERE: Context [/pentaho] startup failed due to previous errors
    // here comes trouble
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesJdbc
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] registered the JDBC driver [org.h2.Driver] but failed to unregister it when the web application was stopped. To prevent a memory leak, the JDBC Driver has been forcibly unregistered.
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
    //checking out the earlier logs it becomes evident that the same happened to every other driver as well.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [HSQLDB Timer @2fbb7466] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:09 PM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader clearReferencesThreads
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-2] but has failed to stop it.This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-3] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-4] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-5] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-6] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-7] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-8] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-9] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [DefaultQuartzScheduler_Worker-10] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    SEVERE: The web application [/pentaho] appears to have started a thread named [Timer-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak.
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:10 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDirectory
    INFO: Deploying web application directory mondrian
    INFO: Deploying web application directory pentaho-style
    INFO: Deploying web application directory ROOT
    INFO: Deploying web application directory stacy
    INFO: Deploying web application directory sw-style
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:10 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol start
    INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-7080
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:10 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
    INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:10 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
    INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/16 config=null
    Feb 06, 2014 3:55:10 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
    INFO: Server startup in 7161 ms
    Localhost
    Feb 06, 2014 4:32:42 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
    INFO: Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
    Feb 06, 2014 4:32:45 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
    SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.pentaho.platform.web.http.context.SolutionContextListener
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'filterChainProxy'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'basicProcessingFilter'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'authenticationManager'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'pen:bean#4a9b0a61':
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'org.springframework.security.providers.dao.DaoAuthenticationProvider#1'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'pen:bean#63dfafd6':
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'cachingUserDetailsService'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'UserDetailsService':
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'userDetailsService'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'userRoleDaoTxn'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'userRoleDao'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'adminJcrTemplate'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'jcrAdminSessionFactory'
    Caused by: org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'jcrRepository'
    Caused by: javax.jcr.RepositoryException: Cannot instantiate persistence manager org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence.pool.H2PersistenceManager
    Caused by: org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory
    Caused by: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: IO Exception: "java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed"; "******************\pentaho\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\jackrabbit\repository\version\db.h2.db" [90031-131]
    Caused by: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed
    Feb 06, 2014 4:32:45 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStop
    SEVERE: Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class org.pentaho.platform.web.http.context.PentahoCacheContextListener
    INFO: Closing Spring root WebApplicationContext
    Feb 06, 2014 4:32:45 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStop
    SEVERE: Exception sending context destroyed event to listener instance of class org.pentaho.platform.web.http.context.PentahoCacheContextListener
    org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'ICacheManager'
    ... yada yada yada, the end.

(It was rather lengthy so I tried to keep the most important details only - let me know if something doesn't make sense.)
    I remember updating the C-Tools in the recent past, but I couldn't find my logs that would tell me when exactly. Other than that, I haven't done anything with the server. I did some ODBC connection testing on the same box, used PRD and PDI, but I would doubt that any of these are related.

A -most likely temporary- solution:
    I restored the whole pentaho\biserver-ce\pentaho-solutions\system\jackrabbit folder from my backup from 2/4/2014 (the last day my instance confirmably worked).
    I could fire up the biserver without a problem after that. I presume as soon as the folder gets overwritten again, the issue will return... but it certainly is a start.

Update:
    So temporary, as soon as I stop the biserver the issue returns. Basically I have to copy the backup folder every time before starting the server. Also, my driver doesn't work.
    (SSO Failed: Native SSPI library not loaded. Check the java.library.path system property.)
    Last edited by aHadnagy; 02-07-2014 at 01:17 PM. Reason: update

You can try to delete the lock files created by h2 in the Jackrabbit repository and then start the server..
    Regards,
    Madhu

Quote Originally Posted by madhupenta View Post
    You can try to delete the lock files created by h2 in the Jackrabbit repository and then start the server..
    This - or the combination of answers below - solved my problem.

edit, on February 14th, 2014. The issue has returned. Falling back to older backups and deleting the lock files doesn't help either. Pentaho worked fine this morning and I performed several upgrades through the marketplace. The last two upgrades I made were installing CDV and upgrading the Repository Synchronizer, then the server couldn't start up anymore.
    Last edited by aHadnagy; 02-14-2014 at 11:55 AM. Reason: problem persists