Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Trying to find a multiple classifier for known and unknown category outcomes

Default Trying to find a multiple classifier for known and unknown category outcomes

Hi,

I'm a biologist trying to develop a capture-mark-recapture survey method using animal vocalisations. I've only just started using WEKA. I've formerly used Statistica to run artificial neural networks - MLPs - to show that I can classify vocalisations to individuals with up to 100% accuracy. But if I have new individuals present in the validation database that weren't in the training database, it just classifies them to the nearest individual in the training database. I need it to go to an "unknown" category and have read Probabilistic Neural Networks can do this.

So I have the variables, the correct identity and the knowledge that I can classify them correctly with up to 100% accuracy. What I want is a dual-layer outcome:

1) Identity: known or unknown
    and then if identity is known
    2) Identity = individual A (confidence level = X)

Can anyone let me know how this would work in WEKA? As I say I'm a novice so as much detail as possible would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Assuming that unknown individuals are reasonably different from the known ones in the training set, I guess you could try applying an anomaly detection method in step 1. There are several one class learning methods in Weka that can be applied to outlier/anomaly detection problems:

LOF (Local Outlier Factor)
    http://weka.sourceforge.net/packageM...or/Latest.html

OneClassClassifier:
    http://weka.sourceforge.net/packageM...er/Latest.html

Cheers,
    Mark.

Thanks! I'll try that.

Just a quick follow up - are naive bayes classifiers the same thing as probabilistic neural networks?

Thanks again,

Holly

No, naive Bayes classifiers can be thought of as a very limited bayesian network, where each attribute has just one parent in the graph - the class attribute.

Cheers,
    Mark.

Thanks the internet has lied to me then.

Last question (for now!): Does WEKA have Probabilistic Neural Networks? One of the papers I've read used them and it'd be interesting to compare to my results.

Thanks,

Holly