Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: JRIP on unbalanced data result interpretation

Default JRIP on unbalanced data result interpretation

Hello all,

I have unbalanced data-set, so I down-sample majority class and train JRIP on that balanced set. As a result I have rules with number of covered instances and number of misclassified instances. But the number of misclassified instances is from balanced dataset, so it is somehow not realistic, because there is far less instances from majority class in balanced dataset used for training. What should I do, can I use the rules for dataset description and interpret their "accuracy" only from balanced testsset?

Hi,

I assume you're using the SpreadSubsample or Resample filter to balance the class distribution? If so, then you can wrap this filter with JRip into a FilteredClassifier. This way, any evaluation you do, such as cross-validation or percentage split, will have the original class distribution in the test set/folds.

Cheers,
    Mark.

Hi Mark,
    thank you very much for your response. Yes, I am using Resample filter and I use it exactly that way, that I am testing on test set with original distribution. Maybe I put i wrong, I am interested in two numbers in brackets that follows each rule (number of instances covered by the rule, and number of misclassified by the rule) - these numbers come from balanced training set, am I right?. If so, my question is if they are of any value when they come from balanced distribution.

Thank you very much.

Matus

Oh, I see. I guess the leaf statistics are of less use when they are computed from the balanced training data. However, they still give you a feeling for how well the rules perform under the "ideal conditions".

Cheers,
    Mark.

Hi Mark,
    thank you. I just have one more question, if you don't mind. When I check "output predictions" in "more options" I get probabilities for each instance. I would like to know how are these probabilities calculated, or more simple, are they calculated from balanced train set? And if so are they of any use? And this is the same for trees or any other classifier trained on balanced data?
    Thank you.

Matus
    Last edited by makak; 03-07-2014 at 02:36 AM.