Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Some database connection information stored outside of Kettle Repository

Default Some database connection information stored outside of Kettle Repository

Some database connection information is evidently stored outside of the Kettle Repository. This makes things very difficult to work in a development group, since checking the Kettle Repository into Subversion (or whatever) will not save and restore all of the required information for a project.

Is there a workaround? Should I submit a bug?

Can you give examples?

There are ways to configure your system so that that happens intentionally, but not usually by default.
    If you are going to use SVN, why not store them as plain XML files, rather than as a repository?
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    Can you give examples?

There are ways to configure your system so that that happens intentionally, but not usually by default.
    If you are going to use SVN, why not store them as plain XML files, rather than as a repository?
    Thanks, gutlez, for the response.

I'm not sure what examples you want

When I first started, I didn't understand what the repository was. I'm creating a file repository. If we change it, won't the jobs have to specify the transformations by complete pathnames? We're developing on Windows and running on Linux, so that won't work.

Also, won't the transformations need to speicify the complete pathnames to the .kdb connection files?

In a Kettle repository, we just specify the path from the Kettle Repository root.

You can specify the path the the KFR and KJB to be executed with variables (eg. ${Internal.Job.Filename.Directory}\TransformToExecute.ktr )
    I'm not familiar with KDB files - and I've been using PDI for a while.

You can embed the connection information into the KTR files, with variables for the DBHost, DBName, DBUser, Password, etc.
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30