Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Table Input - Parameters

Default Table Input - Parameters

Hello.

I'm having hard time working with parameters in the Table Input. I've done many searches and everywhere it says that I can use my parameters in a Table Input Step as filter argument.

So my query is

Code:
    Select Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4
    From MyTable
    Where MyID BETWEEN ? And ?
    In my Transformation settings, I did create two parameters which I fill when I run my transformation. When I execute the transformation, I get the following error:
    Code:
    2014/03/30 11:28:02 - xxx -     at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.openQuery(Database.java:1641)
    2014/03/30 11:28:02 - xxx -     at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableinput.TableInput.doQuery(TableInput.java:233)
    2014/03/30 11:28:02 - xxx -     at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableinput.TableInput.processRow(TableInput.java:143)
    2014/03/30 11:28:02 - xxx -     at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:60)
    2014/03/30 11:28:02 - xxx -     at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    2014/03/30 11:28:02 - xxx - Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Incorrect syntax near '?'.
    Funny thing is that from what I understand, the question marks are replaced by the orders of the parameters, but when I go into my transformation settings, my parameters are not shown in the order I've entered them but by alphabetical order. So I'm not sure how we can know what is the "real" order... Anyway, I tried changing my query in case the parameters are passed by alphabetical order but still get the error.

It seems very complicated to accomplish something so simple with parameters :-(

I'm using PDI v5.0.1 by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mblondinde View Post
    In my Transformation settings, I did create two parameters
    Kettle parameters can be used as variables for textual substitution anywhere in your SELECT statement - don't forget to enable option "Replace variables in script":

Code:
    SELECT Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4
    FROM MyTable
    WHERE MyID BETWEEN ${LO} AND ${HI}
    Question marks are place holders for SQL parameters substituted by fields of an input rowset in the order of their appearance. The corresponding options are "Insert data from step" and "Execute for each row?".
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.