Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Integrate BIRT ReportEngine into UDJC step

Default Integrate BIRT ReportEngine into UDJC step

Hi,

I am trying to integrate this java class into the UDJC step in order to achive the following:

1. Read data to determine the different report paths
    2. Hand the paths over to the step
    3. Initialize once the report engine
    4. Use the engine to produce a report per row
    5. Close the engine

At the moment I am using a shell command instead to perform this, but this creates the engine and closes it for every single report which is decreasing the performance.
    Can somebody here give me a hint on how to load the engine first, then run process the records and close the engine afterwards?

Bobse
    PDI 7
    Postgres
    Windows 7

Belgian partner know.bi actually has written a BIRT Output step you might be able to use. Code: https://github.com/knowbi/BIRTOutput

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the link, that was new to me And I must say, I am impressed, the performance is far better!
    Would be nice though if it was more adjustable, but so far it's really good!

Bobse
    PDI 7
    Postgres
    Windows 7

I know this is probably very obvious to others, but how exactly do I install this step/plugin? I see the README states to modify the xml file and run ant. I can't for the life of me figure out what ant is. I imagine it has something do with the .iml file that is in that package, but I don't seem to have a way to actually run it. I'm on Windows.

I apologize profusely if this should have been it's own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MattCasters View Post
    Belgian partner know.bi actually has written a BIRT Output step you might be able to use. Code: https://github.com/knowbi/BIRTOutput

Quote Originally Posted by nole77 View Post
    I know this is probably very obvious to others, but how exactly do I install this step/plugin? I see the README states to modify the xml file and run ant. I can't for the life of me figure out what ant is. I imagine it has something do with the .iml file that is in that package, but I don't seem to have a way to actually run it. I'm on Windows.

I apologize profusely if this should have been it's own thread.
    Don't know hpw to install the plugin, but if you want to init your engine once in the UDJC step,
    Use the field "first" which is defined to true in the processRow function at start.

So do

If (first){
    InitBIRT ();
    first = false;
    }

Do stuff.....

Or you can override the init ( ) method of the step, this is called once at start of transformation.
    Moreover, don't forget to close every resource opened by overriding the dispose ( ) methode!