Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Getting Started.

Default Getting Started.

New to Pentaho (More of a Informatica / DataStage / SSIS expertise).

Trying to install the community edition and test Pentaho ETL and no success getting started. Google says install JDBC driver but all hints on the web are obsolete and reference directories that do not exist. How to I get a list of what specificially needs to be downloaded and where it needs to land?
    Error connecting to database [c_pdi_rep] : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException:
    Error occured while trying to connect to the database
    Driver class 'oracle.rdb.jdbc.rdbThin.Driver' could not be found, make sure the 'Oracle RDB' driver (jar file) is installed.
    oracle.rdb.jdbc.rdbThin.Driver

Since you are CE user and have this driver as a .jar file (ask Oracle where you can get a copy if you don't have this driver) - just put it into /where_is_kettle_resides/lib directory - it will get into classpath on next Spoon launch. This may be an option.

Default Starting trouble

I already installed orai18n.jar to the lib folder (Oracle has a million options apparently) and it did nothing to fix the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
    Since you are CE user and have this driver as a .jar file (ask Oracle where you can get a copy if you don't have this driver) - just put it into /where_is_kettle_resides/lib directory - it will get into classpath on next Spoon launch. This may be an option.

I think you want to put the jar in the libext/JDBC folder and then restart Spoon. That's where all the rest of the jdbc driver jars are located.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

This is part of my problem; I saw this on google. There is no libext folder

There is no libext folder if you on 5+ kettle versions. lib folder is a substitute.

...Other option is where do you run transformation - it it is remote Carte server it still have to have this library on his remote classpath.
    Make sure 'orai18n.jar' really contains 'oracle.rdb.jdbc.rdbThin.Driver' (for example I am not sure) which is looks like different from regular Oracle jdbc driver.
    finally specify connection info do you use for transformation (it has Native/ODBC/JNDI options...)

Ah, I didn't realize the folder structure was changed from 4.4.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

It is possible that I am not using the correct jar file. What does a "regular oracle jdbc driver" look like?

According to http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/da...10-090769.html

You probably want ojdbc5.jar or ojdbc6.jar

Usually i18n contains languages packs..

Had to google and install old version of java before this would work.

Topic 2:
    Install of Pentaho repository on Oracle has issues:
    CREATE UNIQUE INDEX IDX_R_JOBENTRY_ATTRIBUTE_LOOKUP ON R_JOBENTRY_ATTRIBUTE(ID_JOBENTRY_ATTRIBUTE, CODE, NR)

Name:  Pentaho_Rep_Create_Error.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  20.4 KB
    (I trucated the index name and created manually; but hopefully this helps someone.).

Quote Originally Posted by acharyar View Post
    Had to google and install old version of java before this would work.
    I bet that if you talk to Oracle (you do have an Oracle support contract, right?) that you can get the JDBC driver for Java7