Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Attribute Level at the schema xml

Exclamation Attribute Level at the schema xml

I am trying to add dimensions attributes to the Schema Workbench designer (Community Edition) but the tool doesn't allow you add attributes, only Hierarchies. I added the attributes manually as for the sample below:

<Dimension name='Customer'>
    <Attributes>
    <Attribute name='Country' ... />
    <Attribute name='State' .../>
    <Attribute name='City' .../>
    </Attributes>
    <Hierarchies>
    <Hierarchy name='Customers'>
    <Level attribute='Country'/>
    <Level attribute='State'/>
    <Level attribute='City'/>
    </Hierarchy>
    </Hierarchies>
    </Dimension>

The Schema Workbench allow you to read the file but it completely eliminate everything under the <Dimension> element.
    Question: The attribute element is widely documented in all Mondrian books and documentation, however it doesn't seems to be recognized with the "Community" schema workbench tool. Is this something that only exists at the "enterprise" version? If yes, editing the xml and manually adding the attribute, could be publish it and how?

Thanks!

Rey Nunez

You have to add a Hierarchy to your Dimension first. Then you can add Levels to the Hierarchy. I think what you are calling attributes (in the first half of your xml fragment) are actually Levels. For each Level, you can then add Properties which are descriptive pieces of information that can be added to a Level.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

Thanks for your input Nelson. I know you have to define hierarchy->Level, but the question is in relation to the "Attribute" level that accordingly to multiple documentations is the closer thing to a dimension column. Following the XML schema documentation, the attribute level should be added according to the sample submitted, but the "Schema Workbench" tool doesn't recognize it. It will accept the schema file but it eliminates the dimension contents. My original question was: Is this something related to the "Community" version only? Is the enterprise version allowing attribute level?

Thanks

Rey

Quote Originally Posted by reynunez View Post
    Following the XML schema documentation, the attribute level should be added according to the sample submitted, but the "Schema Workbench" tool doesn't recognize it.
    Really? Because I can't find anything about doing it the way you are trying to at http://mondrian.pentaho.com/documentation/schema.php

It will accept the schema file but it eliminates the dimension contents. My original question was: Is this something related to the "Community" version only? Is the enterprise version allowing attribute level?

Thanks

Rey
    From what I've seen, the Mondrian engine in both EE and CE is the same.
    The Analyzer front end is different, but most of the tools are exactly the same.

Thanks for your feedback Gutlez.

The attribute is referenced in multiple documentations, including the "Mondrian In Action (Open source in business analytics)" Book. See the XML schema elements below. Considering the Schema Workbench doesn't recognize the Attribute Level, that means the only way to expose dimensions columns is through the "property" at the level element.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 1.08.56 PM.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  16.5 KB

The document I linked to may easily be out of date... the joys of the internet.

You might also try the steps from: http://diethardsteiner.blogspot.ca/2...get-ready.html

But I'm not sure if Mondrian 4 is in BIserver5 ... I have a nagging feeling that it's still from the 3.x series.

Thanks for your feedback Gutlez.

The attribute is referenced in multiple documentations, including the "Mondrian In Action (Open source in business analytics)" Book. See the XML schema elements below. Considering the Schema Workbench doesn't recognize the Attribute Level, that means the only way to expose dimensions columns is through the "property" at the level element.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-04-10 at 1.08.56 PM.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  16.5 KB
    Hello,

the book "Mondrian in Action" mostly describes methods for Mondrian 4.0, which has not been released now. The Attribute-Elements are introduced in Mondrian 4.0 and are afaik not available in lower versions.

Regards