Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Analysis services for IT (network diagrams, etc)?

Lightbulb Analysis services for IT (network diagrams, etc)?

Hi all,
    Kind of a higher level topic - if one has a list of IT assets either in Excel, in a database or from a CMDB, are there tools/product suite/services that Pentaho offers or could offer around analyzing that data and creating visualizations?

I personally am sick of Visio when I have the data RIGHT THERE and have to interpret it into a diagram. (and when the data changes, remember to manually change the (plural) diagrams).

For example:

*(layer 3 or Server) Network diagrams (tree/block, radial, etc) - note, both design-time and run-time, to distinguish between 'live data' and data that will go live eventually. Smooth transition from design to runtime a goal.

*data flow diagrams - note, both design-time and run-time, to distinguish between 'live data' and data that will go live eventually. Smooth transition from design to runtime a goal.

*data packet analysis

*density pie charts based on attributes (operating system, operating system version, age of install, end-of-life planning, etc)

I know this is not a 'traditional' BI need, but it feels like it is SOOOOOO close that it would just take a small leap to put everything needed for IT analysis as part of the package/suite!

examples of manual tools that could do similar items, but disconnected/not part of a suite:

--graphviz http://www.graphviz.org/
    --afterglow http://afterglow.sourceforge.net/
    --nmap (not for integration, but more of a sample of where data may come from)

thoughts?

-D
    Last edited by dhartford; 04-23-2014 at 11:51 AM.