Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Using Large Clobs in Reports

Default Using Large Clobs in Reports

I have text clobs that are a column in an Oracle database and they are printed as text in Pentaho reports (more like a document with paragraphs). I am trying to print the clobs in the detail section of the report. They do print but.... It looks like the clob prints as an image instead of text. The width of the clob comes out fine. However, if the clob is more than one page, it always starts at the top of a new page and I don't want it to. I need it to continue printing on the current page until it gets to the footer. if it is a clob that is over 3 pages long, when it gets to the third page, it prints half a line (top half) at the bottom of page 2 and half a line (bottom half) at the top of page 3 so the line is split in two. My report is over a hundred pages. Is there a better way to handle the clob so it will print correctly. Short clobs work fine and will print on the same page if there is space (still works like and image). Is there a way to convert the clob to text and print it that way so it doesn't print as an image.

Sounds as if you are running on an older version of the reporting engine. Upgrade to the latest bug-fix release of either 4.8 or 5.0 and you should find that paragraphs now break correctly and lines are no longer cut in half by pagebreaks.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Default Clobs

Quote Originally Posted by Taqua View Post
    Sounds as if you are running on an older version of the reporting engine. Upgrade to the latest bug-fix release of either 4.8 or 5.0 and you should find that paragraphs now break correctly and lines are no longer cut in half by pagebreaks.
    Thank you Taqua. It took a while for us to get the 5.0.1 version through our company and the half lines are now fixed. So we are now using 5.0.1 of the report-designer. I still have a few issues with the clobs but I can't send out a copy of the report to you so you can see it. As I said before, I am printing lots of clobs in the detail section of a subreport. I am using the total page number function to print the total page number on each page of the report. I am doing this in the page header of the master report and do not have any page breaks in the subreports

Master Report
    Subreport 1 2 pages TOTAL PAGES = 19 ON BOTH PAGES, pages 1,2 (this is right)
    Subreport 2 2 pages TOTAL PAGES = 19 ON BOTH PAGES, pages 3,4 (this is right)
    Subreport 3 15 pages page 5,6,7,8,9,10,11 and the TOTAL PAGES IS 19 (right)
    page 12 and the TOTAL PAGES prints as 12 (12 of 12 instead of 12 of 19) (wrong)
    page 13, 14 and the TOTAL PAGES is again right at 19
    page 16 of 16, page 17 of 17 (shoud be TOTAL PAGE OF 19) (wrong)
    page 18 of 19, page 19 of 19 (right)

I think this is related to the clobs. The total page number actually prints as the page number instead of the total pages. It does it at the end of large clobs. On page 12, the end of the clob takes up 1/2 a page but it was 1 1/2 pages long. For the other total page problems, the clob was 2 1/2 pages long.

The other issue is that when the large clob is finished printing, it processes a page break and starts printing the next clob on the next page when it should just continue on the same page because there is no page break.

Thanks in advance.

Kam