Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input Excel File with blank column

Default Input Excel File with blank column

I have an excel file that has a table with more than 20 columns, but one of these columns is a blank column and the Excel Input doesn't get all columns on preview. it stops in the column before the blank column.

Is there a way to get all columns and ignore "white Columns"?

Thank you so much and sorry for English mistakes.

You can always manually enter all fields instead of retrieving the fields with the "Get fields" button.
    I would name the "white column" as "empty field" or something similar and then use a "select values" step to remove it.
    -- Mick --

Default Create a table after Excel Input

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_data View Post
    You can always manually enter all fields instead of retrieving the fields with the "Get fields" button.
    I would name the "white column" as "empty field" or something similar and then use a "select values" step to remove it.
    There is a really big table in Excel and to write all the field I wanted was too hard, but I did it. After that I Selected the values. Thank you for help.
    Now I want to ask another thing.

Is there a possibility to create a table at the time of Excel Input in Pentaho?

In case of a gap (missing column header) I just fetch the fields before and after the gap separately (start column on sheets tab).

Quote Originally Posted by MARCIX View Post
    Is there a possibility to create a table at the time of Excel Input in Pentaho?
    Please, explain a bit more.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Create a table? Where? In a DB?
    As far as I know, you need to write your CREATE script.
    -- Mick --

Yes. Create a table in DB automaticaly after Excel Input got the fields and values in the XLS File. Is it possible?

Assuming you have the Excel input step set up and those input fields are passed on down the line to a Table output step, hitting the SQL button on the Table output step will give you the recommended SQL CREATE statement to create the DB table. You can accept the statement as-is or modify it to suit your preferences before executing it. It's not automatic but a pretty good approximation.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

The input fields doesn't pass to the Table Output without selecting a target table. It have to define a table to the connection.
    It's ok, I'm getting the normal way creating the table before it all.
    Thanks a lot folks.

Quote Originally Posted by MARCIX View Post
    The input fields doesn't pass to the Table Output without selecting a target table. It have to define a table to the connection.
    I don't believe that is the case. If you a enter table name that doesn't exist, hitting the SQL button will offer to create it.
    pdi-ce-4.4.0-stable
    Java 1.7 (64 bit)
    MySQL 5.6 (64 bit)
    Windows 7 (64 bit)

I have the same problem.

With Empty column and no title on Excel : Pentaho Excel imput ignore all columns after...... it's a problem. How to solve ?