Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Custom Job plugin

Default Custom Job plugin

Is it possible to archive a custom job to reuse it as if it was an out-of-the-box one,
    but without leading with compiles, builds and deployments, but just by drag and dropping the kjb file or something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by bizintreader View Post
    leading with compiles, builds
    What compiles?
    Once you have your PDI built (or downloaded), there's no compiling to do...

You can call the KJB file from another KJB without issue.

Well I mean integrated in the interface as a drag and drop step, and also incorporated portably in the PDI folder. Perhaps I am too picky

A KJB file is not a step, so you cannot drag and drop it from the left panel into a job/transformation.
    But you can create transformation re-use them - I think that you need to search for Transformation Executioner
    -- Mick --

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_data View Post
    A KJB file is not a step, so you cannot drag and drop it from the left panel into a job/transformation.
    But you can create transformation re-use them - I think that you need to search for Transformation Executioner
    But I'd like to show my custom jobs in the draggable list of any job. Drag and dropping cutom job as a subjob within other jobs without needing to load the file every time. Is that possible?

I really think you're still not clear on steps vs files.

Do you have to load the entire source code of GCC in order to create a new program that links to the C library?

In PDI you drag a new Job step, and configure that Job step to CALL the existing job.

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    I really think you're still not clear on steps vs files.

Do you have to load the entire source code of GCC in order to create a new program that links to the C library?

In PDI you drag a new Job step, and configure that Job step to CALL the existing job.
    Yes, I udnerstand. I was just wondering if I could achive same degree of visibility as all outofthebox job entries and transformations. For instance, It could be nice if you had a custom subcategory in the design pane linked to a ext folder within pentaho where you store kjbs, and a way to leave an xml indicating a favicon and some default properties

The reason why I'd like that is the same why somebody worried about integrating entries in the GUI instead of simply distributing a colection of some kjbs and transformations for basic operations

Quote Originally Posted by bizintreader View Post
    The reason why I'd like that is the same why somebody worried about integrating entries in the GUI instead of simply distributing a colection of some kjbs and transformations for basic operations
    And that still makes NO sense.
    A KJB (or Job) is a collection of entries. Period.
    **THIS IS A SIGNATURE - IT GETS POSTED ON (ALMOST) EVERY POST**
    I'm no expert.
    Take my comments at your own risk.

PDI user since PDI 3.1
    PDI on Windows 7 & Linux

Please keep in mind (and this may not apply to this thread):
    No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.
    Signature Updated: 2014-06-30

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    And that still makes NO sense.
    A KJB (or Job) is a collection of entries. Period.
    But it can be used as a job entry as a subjob. But Ok, I'll get the point! Thanks!

No - A job cannot be used as a "Job Entry".

A Job step can be used as a step in a job, and that job step can be configured to call any particular job.