Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: FTP a list of files

Default FTP a list of files

Hi,
    I must be specially sleeping today ... but I cannot find any way to upload a list of specific files.

The list is the result of a transformation, each file name being a row. I don't find any transformation step to send files to a server. And all job steps use specific values, not the values on the row of a transformation.

Any help?

Thks

You have to use Variables.
    And then you can upload your files using the FTP step or even a Copy Files step.
    -- Mick --

The Put SFTP entry allows you to get files (and file names) from previous result. Is it bad for you?
    Andrea Torre
    twitter: @andtorg

join the community on ##pentaho - a freenode irc channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ato View Post
    The Put SFTP entry allows you to get files (and file names) from previous result. Is it bad for you?
    Hi Ato,
    thanks for your answer ... but I don't see how to use that with a list of files coming from a transformation, so one file name on each row.

Put SFTP is a job step and only accepts explicit files using explicit folder and name. It admits regexp but this is not the case. I have a "dinamic" list of files.

PS. And to make things worse, each file can go to a diferent server, the rows have both values: server , filename.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_data
    You have to use Variables.
    And then you can upload your files using the FTP step or even a Copy Files step.

Hi Mick,
    can you explain it with some more detail? How can I use variables for the values of rows and pass them to an FTP Job step?

Let's put it in its simplest form, I have a data grid or text file or whatever input method you like with two vaules on each row:
    IP
    filename

Assume user/pwd etc are known for each IP

How to upload each file to its server?

Thks

Why not keep it in the transformation?
    I would calculate the target filenames and copy the files using a Process Files step.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Why not keep it in the transformation?
    I would calculate the target filenames and copy the files using a Process Files step.
    Wow! Do you mean Process file will accept a full server path specification? I thought it was able to deal with local files only.

That's really good news ... going to try it!

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by DepButi View Post
    Wow! Do you mean Process file will accept a full server path specification? I thought it was able to deal with local files only.

That's really good news ... going to try it!

Thanks a lot!
    Seems I am not able to make it run ... I build an output field with the value

I have ftp access (tested using filezilla), the destination folder exists ... but I get the error

Could not determine the type of file "ftp://user:***@10.10.28.3/Folder/MyFile.txt".

Any idea?

It works over here, so it seems to be a configuration problem on your side.
    I tested with Filezilla server 0.9.44 default settings.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

It works for a Linux->Linux connection but doesn't on a Linux->Windows ... we cannot find anything wrong on our Windows systems (excluding the fact that it's Windows! )

Working on it ...

Just to keep this open in case anyone has a brilliant idea ...

We tested this on seven Window machines, all of them with FileZilla 0.9.18 beta, all of them with the same configuration.

Guess what. Five servers accept the Kettle ftp and two of them don't!!
    FTPing by hand works on all of them, so it's not an access/priv problem

Our systems people is getting mad (they usually do when dealing with Windows, so I'm not really concerned )

thks
    Last edited by DepButi; 05-14-2014 at 12:50 PM.