Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use cookies with REST Client

Default Use cookies with REST Client

Hello,

My problem is that I don't know how to use/send/receive cookie information in a REST Client in spoon and to keep the session 'open' (I use Keep-alive in my header). The session information is stored in a cookie to determine my 'current' database.

Some background information:

I have to connect to an API where the process is as follows:

• Connect to the API via: http://[someurl]/databases. In return I get an XML response with all my databases;
    • Next I want to set a database as the current database. This is done bij doing http://[someurl]/setdefault?db=[dbcode]&otherkey=[othervalue]. The result is that a cookie file is filled with some session data;
    • Now i can get data from the API using the cookie and a topic like 'Accounts' so something like this: http://[someurl]/getdata?topic=[sometopic].

In PHP / cURL this all works fine using the curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_COOKIEJAR, cookie.txt)

In spoon, I can:

• Get a connection to receive the databases;
    • Get data from a topic but only from the database that is set as 'current' (note that if you don't send any session information the server apparently has a 'current' database set).

Do you have some suggestions on this?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

kwv

There is no automatic cookie handling in my REST Client (4.4.0).
    I had to modify the code so response headers are returned in a field.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

any way to handle cookies in 5.0?

the REST application I am interfacing with relies on cookies for future auth requests. I have a transformation that logs in via REST (http://ip/rest/login, POST, JSON) and that passes ok, but then I cannot make future (subsequent) REST calls - they fail with unauthorized because the server is expecting 'a browser' experience (not sure how to word that).

I spoke with the developers and while there are future plans to changes this cookie-reliance, it (obviously) does not help now.

Summing up: how can I create a 'cookie' experience in KETTLE while interfacing with a REST service?

Thanks!!

I'm in the same boat - currently we have web services where I need to extract a cookie from the initial authentication negotiations. I can do that successfully with custom Java code in a UDJC step (I used Jersey vs Apache HTTP, in this case), but without writing yet more custom java code to handle the later operations even things like arbitrarily trying to set a "Cookie:" header fails.

The only options I see at present are:
    1) Custom Java code via UDJC
    2) Creating a custom Step that extends HTTP Post/Client and deals with cookies

I'm hoping that "future plans" come to fruition sooner rather than later, otherwise a whole lot of my steps are going to be UDJC and JAR files...

Well, I made some minor additions to the REST lookup step in Kettle version 4.4.
    Since I didn't want to fiddle with the GUI, I introduced a parameter to hold the output fieldname for the headers.
    Round about ten lines of code I had to add.
    You can run a diff or just look out for the marker AR-1.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cool!

Rookie Question - how do I use/load this?

Hi Marabu,

How do i use this code in PDI. Can you please help

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Well, I made some minor additions to the REST lookup step in Kettle version 4.4.
    Since I didn't want to fiddle with the GUI, I introduced a parameter to hold the output fieldname for the headers.
    Round about ten lines of code I had to add.
    You can run a diff or just look out for the marker AR-1.

Obviously you must build Kettle from source if you want to use my patches.

How to integrate your source code to handle the session cookie. I am not aware of java can you please help me out.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Obviously you must build Kettle from source if you want to use my patches.

Hi marabu, is your code already available in PDI 5.1.0 CE? Trying to pass JSESSIONID from the HTTP Response to downstream transformations, but having no docs/release-info..