Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: SFTP Subfolder Suport

Default SFTP Subfolder Suport

I have a use case where I have an SFTP server that a client places files into subfolders. I do not know the name or how many subfolders may be created. Is there a way using Get Files from SFTP step that subfolders can be traversed? If not what is the alternative for walking a directory tree on an SFTP server that can be used to processed the files that are placed there

Hi Jerms,

Not sure what version of PDI you are using, but in 5.0.1, there is a 'Read subdirectories' component for transformations. I accepts a hard coded main directory or as a parameter.

You could send the output to 'Copy to results'. Then you can loop around the results to read all files within the directory in the next transformation'

Job1 -> Trans1 - Read all subdirectories -> Trans2 (Check 'Execute for each input row' in Advanced settings) Read all files in subdirectories.

HTH
    PDI 8.0.0
    MySQL - 5.6.27
    Redshift - 1.0.1485
    PostgreSQL 8.0.2
    OS - Ubuntu 10.04.2

How would I use the SFTP connection then to pass the directory that is on the SFTP server to the substransformation and the Get subfoldernames step? It appears that it is a local directory that is required to be configured.

Hi Jerms,

Try using the wildcard ('*') to see if it picks up folders as well as files.
    PDI 8.0.0
    MySQL - 5.6.27
    Redshift - 1.0.1485
    PostgreSQL 8.0.2
    OS - Ubuntu 10.04.2

Quote Originally Posted by jerms.wilson@gmail.com View Post
    How would I use the SFTP connection then to pass the directory that is on the SFTP server to the substransformation and the Get subfoldernames step? It appears that it is a local directory that is required to be configured.
    VFS is your friend.
    You can build a URI like SFTP://user@host/path/that/you/want/to/look/in and pass that as a parameter to the transformation, and then use that parameter in the Get Subfolder Names step.