Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Set MySQL session variables during transformation

Default Set MySQL session variables during transformation

Hey guys,

is it possible to set a system variable of the MySQL server dynamically during a transformation in kettle? I tried the following:

Step 'Execute SQL Statements': SET SESSION group_concat_max_len = ?;

The question mark is replaced by an argument of the step before. But even if I place an absolute value there instead of the question mark, it's still not working. The following steps, e.g. a table input step, will ignore the modified session variables so the default system values are used.

Setting the system variable globally on the whole connection (and not only for the session) is no option in my case. Using PDI 5.0.7, MySQL 5.1.73.

Many thanks,
    tba

Default Ask for solution

Quote Originally Posted by tba View Post
    Hey guys,

is it possible to set a system variable of the MySQL server dynamically during a transformation in kettle? I tried the following:

Step 'Execute SQL Statements': SET SESSION group_concat_max_len = ?;

The question mark is replaced by an argument of the step before. But even if I place an absolute value there instead of the question mark, it's still not working. The following steps, e.g. a table input step, will ignore the modified session variables so the default system values are used.

Setting the system variable globally on the whole connection (and not only for the session) is no option in my case. Using PDI 5.0.7, MySQL 5.1.73.

Many thanks,
    tba
    Hello,

Did you have find any solutions?

In the configuration of your PDI conneczion, in the advanced tab i guess, you set a statement that is executed
    after each connection to DB. I guess this is a good place to set this variable.

It wont work if you set it in a sql script step, since each step is creating its own connection to he db, so its own session

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias.CH View Post
    In the configuration of your PDI conneczion, in the advanced tab i guess, you set a statement that is executed
    after each connection to DB. I guess this is a good place to set this variable.

It wont work if you set it in a sql script step, since each step is creating its own connection to he db, so its own session
    You saved my life!!!!!!!!!!
    God bless you, I spend so much time trying to solve this. thank you!!!