Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Use PME for BI Security?

Exclamation Use PME for BI Security?

Hi,

I'm new to Pentaho and am scoping a pet project of mine. I was wondering if I can use Pentaho Metadata Editor to implement security on different data sources (tables/columns) to different users/roles or not in the Pentaho BA 5 CE.

This link (http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/Serv...Metadata+Model) says `WARNING: Row Level Security is only in effect at the Model level. Any data constraints defined below the Model Level, such in a Business Table or Business Column, is ignored and not used`. My understanding of that note is that the PME can't be used to actually restrict Users/Roles in practice. Could someone please explain what that note means?

Is there possibly another way I can implement security on Pentaho BA?

Hi dmukherji,

I hope you could solve this problem and could understand how efficiently you can use Model level security.

Nowadays I changed my style and found out roles defined in PAC and dedicated to different users and I satarted to use Global Constarints.
    ex.:
    OR(IN([BT_DIM_DEPT_DIM_DEPT.BC_SZERVEZET_KLSZABALY]; ROLES());
    IN("DVIRMAIN"; ROLES());
    IN("Admin"; ROLES())
    )

In my real tables there are columns where i store access roles like for reach a department need its code.

I used also usernames in other tables where and i could user also =USER() checking.

Bye