Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Where can I download biserver manual installation?

Question Where can I download biserver manual installation zip file?

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to Pentaho and I wonder where I can download a biserver manual ce 5.1 distribution .zip because when I go to the Pentaho Customer Support Portal, as described on the documentation, it is requiring me a login.

Additionally, I think the documentation is not right about creating a folder called .pentaho since you cannot start a folder with a dot on Windows. Maybe it works just with Linux.

Thanks in advance,
    Ronald
    Last edited by ronald1; 07-23-2014 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Added into the title "zip file" description

Quote Originally Posted by ronald1 View Post
    creating a folder called .pentaho since you cannot start a folder with a dot on Windows.
    It's correct -- you can create a folder that starts with a .

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    It's correct -- you can create a folder that starts with a .
    I tried but Windows 7 SP1 does not accept it.

I looked into the 5.0 documentation and there at least says that we have to create a .pentaho folder just on Linux while 5.1 is saying on both OS. So it looks like that 5.1 doc is incorrect.

Anyway, I still don't know where I can download a manual installation zip file. I just found the bundled one (with Tomcat).

Can anyone help me out, please?
    Last edited by ronald1; 07-23-2014 at 09:52 PM.

I found 5.0.1 in the usual download location...
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pent...e.zip/download

Also, just because you can't do something in Windows Explorer doesn't mean it can't be done - it often means Windows Explorer isn't checking things correctly. Use the command shell and the mkdir command and it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    I found 5.0.1 in the usual download location...
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pent...e.zip/download

Also, just because you can't do something in Windows Explorer doesn't mean it can't be done - it often means Windows Explorer isn't checking things correctly. Use the command shell and the mkdir command and it will work.
    I'm looking for 5.1. I read a comment here that Pentaho has to use Tomcat 6 while I was intending to use it with 7. So I think the only way to use Pentaho would be redoing all server configurations with Tomcat 6 and reinstall Liferay hopping that it will work.

Well, you could have said how before instead of a simple yes/no answer. As I said, I'm a newbie and I was just following the instructions of the official manual documentation. I just use command line when it says for me to use it, but the manual was talking about Windows Explorer. Anyway, the official manual should be clearer because I thought I could use at least the installation instructions for the Community Edition as well, but it looks like I can't. I also tried the community documentation on wiki.pentaho.com but it is too outdated. I will have to find info somewhere else.

Thanks anyway, at least you were the only one who answered. But I thought it would be easier.

I doubt it will work with Tomcat 7. It's not the server configs that's the issue - it's the underlying Java language that is the issue.

Enterprise (EE) is a little different than CE. They have spent a great deal of time investing in building programs to help you get it installed and working - that's part of what you are paying for when you buy EE.