Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to launch Data Integration.app on Mac OS X, but spoon.sh launches fine

Question Unable to launch Data Integration.app on Mac OS X, but spoon.sh launches fine

I'm having trouble getting the Data Integration.app to launch on Mac OS X. When I launch the app, a dialog pops up complaining "To open Data Integration you need to install the legacy Java SE 6 runtime." Alternatively, I can launch via the spoon.sh launcher script, and Kettle launches just fine with no error messages.

I'd really prefer not to install Java 6, as it's pretty out of date nowadays, but I can't figure out why the Data Integration.app won't launch using one of my two existing JDKs. Any ideas?

Kettle version: Community Edition 5.1.0.0-752
    Java version: JDK 1.7.0u60 and JDK 1.8.0u11
    Mac OS X version: 10.10

Are you using the latest version of DI (5.1)?
    -- Mick --

Yes, 5.1.0.0-752, downloaded yesterday from SourceForge.

Do you have that creepy MacOS application security enabled? MacOS blocks all unsigned apps these days and you have to disable that application firewall to use unsigned apps. Shell scripts are not touched by the firewall, AFAIK, which explains why those work.

http://www.tekrevue.com/tip/turn-off...xs-gatekeeper/
    Last edited by Taqua; 07-30-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Nope, I've got "Allow apps downloaded from:" set to "Anywhere" in the General tab of the Security & Privacy System Preferences. Heh, pretty much can't be a developer without doing that.

At any rate, I do think this may have more to do with the way that DI is packaged. I've seen some information around that using the old Apple Java application packager to create the application bundle isn't compatible with the newer Oracle versions of the JVM. Is it possible that DI is still being packaged with the old Apple Java packager rather than the newer Oracle one?

The DI app uses the old JDK 1.6 - so as long as you have Apple's original JDK installed, you should (theoretically) be fine. The data-integration app as packaged will not work with Oracle's Java 7, as the launcher-stub is wrong for it.

You can download the old Apple JDK from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 (and that package should happily install in newer MacOS builds, unless apple broke something (again - they are good that killing Java)).
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Ah, I would have thought that with the resolution of PDI-7233 that this would have been addressed, especially that Java 6 has been EOL'd by Oracle. I do see that PDI-11056 was created to address the specific Mac related issue, though, so I guess that fix is what will ultimately resolve this particular problem.

Even so, I was able to get the DI app itself working by doing the following:

1. Edit the Contents/Info.plist file within the JDK package, changing the JVMCapabilities section to:
      <key>JVMCapabilities</key>
      <array>
      <string>JNI</string>
      <string>BundledApp</string>
      <string>WebStart</string>
      <string>Applets</string>
      <string>CommandLine</string>
      </array>
    2. Symlink the Contents/Home/jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib file to Contents/Home/bundle/Libraries/libserver.dylib within the JDK package.

After doing those 2 things, I can now launch the DI app directly by just clicking on the icon, rather than having to rely on spoon.sh. Not exactly a clean workaround, but a workaround nonetheless.

What is the change to do for PDI 7? This section is missing from the current info.plist

Having the same problem with DI7 / Java8. Anyone solved it with current versions?

I am having the same problem. DI7/java 8.