Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: How to validate database connection parameters (before table input)?

Default How to validate database connection parameters (before table input)?

Hi,

I have a case where I get X rows of database names which I need to connect to. This all works fine when those dbnames are valid. But if one of those names is invalid, then the table input step fails with an error and the whole job stops instead of continuing for the rest of the names that are valid.

So my question is:
    Is there a way to validate a database connection parameters and skip the step (or abort) when an invalid database parameters are found?

Thanks
    Hannes

Quote Originally Posted by hannesh View Post
    Hi,

I have a case where I get X rows of database names which I need to connect to. This all works fine when those dbnames are valid. But if one of those names is invalid, then the table input step fails with an error and the whole job stops instead of continuing for the rest of the names that are valid.

So my question is:
    Is there a way to validate a database connection parameters and skip the step (or abort) when an invalid database parameters are found?

Thanks
    Hannes
    Solution for me was using a job level step 'Check DB connections' and creating just one connection for it and setting the dbname as a variable. Then I can set the variable separately for each dbname row before executing the connection checking job and this check can correctly handle any errors with the connection. What I still could not figure out was how I could prevent the db connection check from stopping the parent job in case of invalid connection found. I would like to log all errors instead of just the first.