Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Digital signature for PDF

Default Digital signature for PDF

I have a java application which generates a document in PDF from a pentaho report template. Now I need to encrypt and digitally sign the document. I wanted to use libraries from iText but I'm facing version incompatibility problem. Pentaho uses iText version 2.1.7 and the version I need is iText 5.3.0.

Is there another way to sign pentaho reports without using iText? What can you advice me to do in this situation?

Well, first, we do not support signing of PDFs directly in the library. Even the iText examples given first generate the PDF file and then sign it afterwards. So you can easily use Pentaho Reporting to generate the file, and then use your own iText code to sign it.

But be aware that unless you have a commercial license, iText 5.x is shipped as Affero-GPL, which means anyone interacting via code somehow with the software that signs the code will have to make their software available under the AGPL too.

The digital signing of PDF also works with our existing iText 2.7.1, which is licensed as LGPL, and thus safe to use along with other, non-GPL software. If you take the example given on the iText web-site, simply replace the package "com.itextpdf" with "com.lowagie" for all import statements to make it work in the older code.

To automate that generation of PDFs and the signing process, I would use a Kettle transformation for that. Use a "reporting-step" to produce the PDF, followed by a scripting step that contains the code to sign the file.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.

Forgot: http://itextpdf.com/examples/iia.php?id=222 - source code example on how to sign a PDF file.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.