Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: javascript startup script and variables

Default javascript startup script and variables

I have a transformation that has 2 steps in it, get variables followed by a javascript step. In the javascript step I have both a transformation script, and a startup script. When I try to reference field names in the startup script that the get variables step sends it, I get an error:

Variable not defined.

However, if I copy the code in the startup script to the transformation script, and comment it out, then everything works. This sounds like a bug to me.

I submitted this as a bug, but it just got closed saying it is not a bug. Can someone look at this and explain what is going on?

Here is the bug report I submitted. It has an attached transformation to demonstrate this:

http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-13170

You can't do row processing in a start script.
    Use it for variable declaration and initialization, define functions there, but stay away from field variables.
    That's what I do.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

My question is about the behavior that having commented out code in the transformation script allows the startup script to work is what is baffling to me. I don't understand why that would be the case.

So I failed to see your point - my bad, sorry. You now have my full attention.

While the start script is definitely compiled and executed before the transform script, putting the used fields into the scripting context is one of the first things done at all.
    The step author tries to identify used fields using a poor man's parser (case insensitive string search) knowingly counting fieldnames found inside of a comment among the used fields.
    While it's not really a bug, the behavior should be documented at least.
    Eventually I would have closed the case, too, since you can easily avoid the side effects of this parser short cut by following my advice from above.
    Curiosity kills the cat ...
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Thank you for the good explanation. That is really what I was trying to get at when I filed the bug report.