Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Launch Job Executor Dynamic # of Times

Default Launch Job Executor Dynamic # of Times

I have a transformation that takes rows and for each row I am executing a job via the Job Executor. Right now I'm hardcoding how many rows I'm expecting but I would like to have this be dynamic. How can I do this?

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7a7e3414.png

njain111 Guest

Instead of hard coding 25, you can use a variable there ${MaxCPUCore}

You can either put this variable in kettle.properties or make it more dynamic and populate it in a transformation which can execute before this transformation.

Thanks for the reply. I need to get the number of rows that are coming from "Get rows from result" and then use that number as the variable for the # of copies to launch. How would I go about this? Sorry, I'm just getting started w/ PDI.

njain111 Guest

In the transformation where you are 'copying rows to result', before copying rows, I would do a 'group by' to get 'nr of rows' and then set it to variable.

Make sure to do this as a side stream, so that you set this variable only once.

What do you mean when you say side stream? I tried to do the following but I get the error "Only 1 input row was expected to set the variables and at least 2 were received" (which I'm assuming is what you were referring to).

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/...ps87066024.png

Thanks again for all your help so far

njain111 Guest

I think you got the side-stream part right here. As group by is not in main-stream flow.

But there is a bigger problem here ... you cannot set a variable and use it in same transformation.
    I see generate rows instead of 'copy rows here' so, probably you are just testing here with generate rows.
    But, this group by and set variable needs to be in the transformation which copies rows to result.

To get rid of "Only 1 input row was expected to set the variables and at least 2 were received" this, select nothing in group field (as you have to group all the rows) in aggregates select type='Number of rows' and then set the Name to set variable.

Regarding the Group By aggregate "Number of values": You don't have to count rows again, when Kettle already did it for you: Just ask for the number using "Output step metrics". Put the two shown steps somewhere into your transformation, no additional hops necessary. Don't worry, when no step names are there to pick from, you can type them right away.

Name:  OSM.png
Views: 48
Size:  6.3 KB
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

njain111 Guest

Nifty!