Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncompressing bzip files

Default Uncompressing bzip files

Hi all,

I have a compressed zip file which outputs a folder when unzipped manually and this folder contains man bzip files which I am required to unzip.

Below is the flow:

Compressed zip file -> folder name(when compressed) - > so many bzip files (Around 18 in number)

I am required to implement a transformation that unzips all these files before they are loaded in postgres database.

I need some ideas on how to implement this transformation to do the extraction before the data is staged in a database since the unzip job might not be helpful.

Thanks for your support.

Thanks,

Ron

I had to do something similar and I have used a "Execute a process" to point to a batch file which launch 7-zip.
    Therefore I would create a transformation with something like:
    - get zip files
    - execute process (easy if file names/locations are always the same)
    - text file input
    - table output
    -- Mick --

No need to decompress bzip files since Kettle supports them directly via Kettle VFS.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    No need to decompress bzip files since Kettle supports them directly via Kettle VFS.
    Hello Marabu,

I went through the VFS documentation and did as instraucted using the text file input step but I still do not get since the transformation does not work.

I have attached the transformation and some screenshots for you to look at.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiua8d6ox0..._data.ktr?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3qvydhit2...0file.PNG?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/bx2jatqh5k..._file.PNG?dl=0

I meantime I created a shell script job to do the unzipping and read the files but incase VFS can be used, then it will save me some processing.

time.

Thanks for your support.

Mick, this looks like a visible solution for now.

Thank you,

Ron

With Kettle VFS try to use the correct prefix ( bz2: not gz: )
    And don't use DOS wildcards where regular expressions are expected (.*\.txt\.bz2)
    Better luck next time
    Last edited by marabu; 11-25-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks for the correction:

This is what I specified in the File Directory within the Text File Input step:

bz2:file:///C:/Installs/internal_files/90341216_DigitalData_20141123.zip/90341216_DigitalData_20141123

When I click on show file names, I get the following error in the screen shot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3hzm9ieox...Error.PNG?dl=0

Thanks,

Ron

I'm just realising that you try to process bzip files still inside a zip file.
    I don't think this will ever work, since the outer prefix must indicate a directory if you want to use a wildcard regex.
    An archive like zip or jar is acceptable, bz2 indicating a compressed file simply doesn't qualify for this.
    So why don't you just use the unzip job entry to create a directory with your bzipped files first?
    In a subsequent transformation you can fetch the list of filenames then and prepend the bz2: prefix.
    Finally let Text File Input accept the filename from a field and you are almost home.

Just a thought....

What about a Get File Names step: zip:file://path/to/zip wildcard .*\.bz2
    Then the file input would be bz2:zip:file://path/to/zip/!bz2/file.txt ?

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    I'm just realising that you try to process bzip files still inside a zip file.
    I don't think this will ever work, since the outer prefix must indicate a directory if you want to use a wildcard regex.
    An archive like zip or jar is acceptable, bz2 indicating a compressed file simply doesn't qualify for this.
    So why don't you just use the unzip job entry to create a directory with your bzipped files first?
    In a subsequent transformation you can fetch the list of filenames then and prepend the bz2: prefix.
    Finally let Text File Input accept the filename from a field and you are almost home.

Hi Marabu,

I have tried to unzip the file using the unzip file step but I am getting an error which I don't really understand even when I enable Debugging to
    get detailed error messages.

This is the error, 2014/11/25 14:24:54 - Unzip file 2 - ERROR (version 5.0.1-stable, build 1 from 2013-11-15_16-08-58 by buildguy) : Error

I have also attached my transformation on dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5lk1xkf96...files.kjb?dl=0

Thanks,

Ron