Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Executing Spoon.bat, Splash Screen appears/disappears, DI will not start; JVM Errors.

Default Executing Spoon.bat, Splash Screen appears/disappears, DI will not start; JVM Errors.

Hello,
    I am experiencing an issue with Pentaho (5.0.1 Stable).
    First, I was working on a transform late last week. I had some issue (memory, mainly) last week. I decided to deal with it this week...

Here is some info:
    Environment: Windows 8, 16 mb Ram installed;
    Pentaho 5.0.1 Stable (community version)

however, I cannot seem to invoke SPOON. The spash screen appears, then disappears.
    I reinstalled Java on my machine, Reinstalled Pentaho.
    Reset PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME to the JVM Location, etc etc.

I ran spoondebug from the command line:
    The produced text file contains:

DEBUG: Using PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA
    =C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71\bin\java

c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration>"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71\bin\java" "-Xmx512m" "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" "-Djava.library.path=libswt\win64" "-DKETTLE_HOME=" "-DKETTLE_REPOSITORY=" "-DKETTLE_USER=" "-DKETTLE_PASSWORD=" "-DKETTLE_PLUGIN_PACKAGES=" "-DKETTLE_LOG_SIZE_LIMIT=" "-DKETTLE_JNDI_ROOT=" -jar launcher\pentaho-application-launcher-5.0.1-stable.jar -lib ..\libswt\win64 /level:Debug
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - Spoon - Logging is at level : Debugging
    stopping

(Looks normal).

In Console, I am receiving the following messages (showing the first few lines; the rest does not seem to give any worthy info..

c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration>spoondebug
    SpoonDebug is to support you in finding unusual errors and start problems.
    -
    This starts Spoon with a console output with the following options:
    -
    Pause after the termination?
    (helps in finding start problems and unusual crashes of the JVM)
    Pause? (Y=Yes, N=No, C=Cancel) Y
    -
    Set logging level to Debug? (default: Basic logging)
    Debug? (Y=Yes, N=No, C=Cancel) Y
    -
    Redirect console output to SpoonDebug.txt in the actual Spoon directory?
    Redirect to SpoonDebug.txt? (Y=Yes, N=No, C=Cancel) Y
    -
    Launching Spoon: "c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration\spoon.bat" /level:Debug
    Console output gets redirected to "c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration\SpoonDebug.txt"
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - ERROR (version 5.0.1-stable, build 1 from 2013-11-15_16-08-58 by buildguy) : Error starting Spoon
    shell
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - ERROR (version 5.0.1-stable, build 1 from 2013-11-15_16-08-58 by buildguy) : java.lang.RuntimeExce
    ption: Unable to create the database cache:

2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General -
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - Couldn't read the database cache
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleFileException:

2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - [npi Integer(15)], [entity_type_code Integer(9)], [replacement_npi Integer(15)], [employer_identif
    ication_number_ein String(9)], [provider_organization_name_legal_business_name String(70)], [provider_last_name_legal_name String(
    35)], [provider_first_name String(20)], [provider_middle_name String(20)], [provider_name_prefix_text String(5)], [provider_name_s
    uffix_text String(5)], [provider_credential_text String(20)], [provider_other_organization_name String(70)], [provider_other_organ
    ization_name_type_code String(1)], [provider_other_last_name String(35)], [provider_other_first_name String(20)], [provider_other_

As you can see, The error messages SEEM to be related to a transform error I had last week (I did have memory issues I was working on...)

Any suggestions?

I have attached my full (edited) log messages

thanks.
    John De.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Find the file %USERPROFILE%/.kettle/.spoonrc
    Find the line OpenLastFile=Y
    Change it to OpenLastFile=N
    Save the file, and try it again.

Hi,

I just reset the flag,reran, and it did not work again. I received the same messages. Odd...

thx,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by jdenicola View Post
    Hello,
    I am experiencing an issue with Pentaho (5.0.1 Stable).
    First, I was working on a transform late last week. I had some issue (memory, mainly) last week. I decided to deal with it this week...

Here is some info:
    Environment: Windows 8, 16 mb Ram installed;
    Pentaho 5.0.1 Stable (community version)

however, I cannot seem to invoke SPOON. The spash screen appears, then disappears.
    I reinstalled Java on my machine, Reinstalled Pentaho.
    Reset PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME to the JVM Location, etc etc.

I ran spoondebug from the command line:
    The produced text file contains:

DEBUG: Using PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71
    DEBUG: _PENTAHO_JAVA
    =C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71\bin\java

c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration>"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_71\bin\java" "-Xmx512m" "-XX:MaxPermSize=256m" "-Djava.library.path=libswt\win64" "-DKETTLE_HOME=" "-DKETTLE_REPOSITORY=" "-DKETTLE_USER=" "-DKETTLE_PASSWORD=" "-DKETTLE_PLUGIN_PACKAGES=" "-DKETTLE_LOG_SIZE_LIMIT=" "-DKETTLE_JNDI_ROOT=" -jar launcher\pentaho-application-launcher-5.0.1-stable.jar -lib ..\libswt\win64 /level:Debug
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - Spoon - Logging is at level : Debugging
    stopping

(Looks normal).

In Console, I am receiving the following messages (showing the first few lines; the rest does not seem to give any worthy info..

c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration>spoondebug
    SpoonDebug is to support you in finding unusual errors and start problems.
    -
    This starts Spoon with a console output with the following options:
    -
    Pause after the termination?
    (helps in finding start problems and unusual crashes of the JVM)
    Pause? (Y=Yes, N=No, C=Cancel) Y
    -
    Set logging level to Debug? (default: Basic logging)
    Debug? (Y=Yes, N=No, C=Cancel) Y
    -
    Redirect console output to SpoonDebug.txt in the actual Spoon directory?
    Redirect to SpoonDebug.txt? (Y=Yes, N=No, C=Cancel) Y
    -
    Launching Spoon: "c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration\spoon.bat" /level:Debug
    Console output gets redirected to "c:\Program Files\Pentaho\data-integration\SpoonDebug.txt"
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - ERROR (version 5.0.1-stable, build 1 from 2013-11-15_16-08-58 by buildguy) : Error starting Spoon
    shell
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - ERROR (version 5.0.1-stable, build 1 from 2013-11-15_16-08-58 by buildguy) : java.lang.RuntimeExce
    ption: Unable to create the database cache:

2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - Couldn't read the database cache
    2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleFileException:

2014/11/25 11:49:55 - General - [npi Integer(15)], [entity_type_code Integer(9)], [replacement_npi Integer(15)], [employer_identif
    ication_number_ein String(9)], [provider_organization_name_legal_business_name String(70)], [provider_last_name_legal_name String(
    35)], [provider_first_name String(20)], [provider_middle_name String(20)], [provider_name_prefix_text String(5)], [provider_name_s
    uffix_text String(5)], [provider_credential_text String(20)], [provider_other_organization_name String(70)], [provider_other_organ
    ization_name_type_code String(1)], [provider_other_last_name String(35)], [provider_other_first_name String(20)], [provider_other_

As you can see, The error messages SEEM to be related to a transform error I had last week (I did have memory issues I was working on...)

Any suggestions?

I have attached my full (edited) log messages

thanks.
    John De.

Hi,
    first thanks for the info, I was wondering if such a file existed.
    Anyway, I tried your suggestion, changed the flag, reran. Unfortunately, it didn't work.
    If you/anyone has anything else I may need to look at, please let me know.
    thanks!
    John

Hello,
    I discovered my problem.

I FINALLY got Pentaho (spoon) to work.
    In my .kettle directory, There is a file called db.cache-5.0.1-stable.

I noticed that the data at the end of it seemed like there were some odd characters at the end of it. Anyway, some more googling resulted in an answer to empty out the file….So, after backing up my file, I cleared the file.

Reran spoon, and it worked! This definitely corresponds with the db cache file message I included below.

The last search I ran/checked was from this thread:
    http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...-kettle-folder

I hope this helps others...

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by jdenicola View Post
    Hello,
    I discovered my problem.

I FINALLY got Pentaho (spoon) to work.
    In my .kettle directory, There is a file called db.cache-5.0.1-stable.

I noticed that the data at the end of it seemed like there were some odd characters at the end of it. Anyway, some more googling resulted in an answer to empty out the file….So, after backing up my file, I cleared the file.

Reran spoon, and it worked! This definitely corresponds with the db cache file message I included below.

The last search I ran/checked was from this thread:
    http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...-kettle-folder

I hope this helps others...

Thanks for the help
    just saved my butt - thank you!

This thread still saving butts. I couldn't get 5.2 to run (it had been working fine) then found these. Deleted the cache file et voila! Thank you!

Thank you for this... I was able to continue after being stuck for 1 day.

For me the issue was worse: this db.cache-7.1.0 file appeared to be 92.9 KB in size, but after deleting it turned out to be occupying more than 400 GB (yes, gigabytes).

Quote Originally Posted by jeronimoh View Post
    For me the issue was worse: this db.cache-7.1.0 file appeared to be 92.9 KB in size, but after deleting it turned out to be occupying more than 400 GB (yes, gigabytes).

Hi any findings on this issue?