Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Feeding data sources using Spoon into Pentaho Report

Question Feeding data sources using Spoon into Pentaho Report

Hello,
    I'm new to Pentaho and the product looks very promising so far. However, I'm running into some difficulties setting up some basic transformations and I'm probably just not understanding something.

What I'm trying to do is create a report template using the Report Design application, and have the data sources be fed in via a transformation. Is this possible? I think I'm supposed to use the 'external' data source for this and then create custom parameters that link with the data source being fed in. Am I on the right track? Is this possible?

Some of the documentation seems lacking in this area.

Thanks for any input

Ok, so I can now run my transformation, and it runs the report, however the data i'm feeding into the template isn't being outputted into the report. How do I link the input fields to the parameters in the report template? I suspect I need to create a "Pentaho Data Integration" data source...and then I'm stuck...

Ok, so I think my transformation works now, it correctly can call the template file, and I think I'm correctly passing in the parameters from the transformation into the report however, the report is not printing my parameters that I pass in. Do I need to set up a data source to query the passed in parameters?

Question

So I have gotten to the point where I'm trying to pass in a table worth of information to the Report Designer. However, I'm stuck trying to figure out how to print out the table rows in my report. How do I reference the data passed into the report designer? Do I need to make some kind of data set with the column names as parameters?