Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Help with output columns

Default Help with output columns

Hello,

I am getting started with Pentaho and I haven't been able to find any answers after searching. For example, I have a pipe delimited txt file that I have been able to import fine and successfully perform value mapper translations. I need to map 10 columns into a required output format of 30 columns.

How do I create an output format to map to? I need the blank columns to meet my downstream software's import requirements.

Please let me know if there are resources available that would help me learn.

Thank you

Hi there jsnjns,
    There may be a ready made way to handle this issue, but I think that using "Generate Rows" along with the "Join Rows" cartesian join will be a nice solution.
    Limit your "Generate Rows" to just one row and specify all of the missing columns in there. (You have the ability to set them to empty strings.) After the join, you should see all of the available columns in the stream. In your output step, arrange them into the order necessary to match the necessary layout.

Good luck,
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by jsnjns View Post
    How do I create an output format to map to? I need the blank columns to meet my downstream software's import requirements.
    If you just need to add empty columns, you can do it with the Add constant step.
    If it's more complicated than that, could you please provide an example for the input and output data? That way it would be easier to help you.