Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: This forum could be much better

Default This forum could be much better

The problem: my posts take a day or more to appear in the forums.

I'm trying to learn Kettle, but I get stuck often and waiting for the moderator to approve and then get a response can take 3 days for an answer.

Is it possible to let a post/thread/question come onto the forum immediately? Similar to how stackoverflow works? Thx.
    Last edited by Bluewater; 12-10-2014 at 04:34 PM.

The problem is possibly related to your internet provider... There is active spam filtering that happens on this forum, (keeping call girl posts and invitations for unrelated training at a reasonable level)... But for some reason, your posts are getting caught in them. This may be a result of posters on the same IP range (hypothesis only!) posting spam that has been flagged as spam and deleted.

As for the turn around on answers once everyone can see your post... That I can't help much with.

If you can't wait 3 days for an answer then you might want to purchase the enterprise edition with support.

Quote Originally Posted by flamierd View Post
    If you can't wait 3 days for an answer then you might want to purchase the enterprise edition with support.
    exactly! or buy some books. They will help you speed up the learning process
    :P

Default Question to Maria or anyone else who is expert on PDI

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Roldan View Post
    exactly! or buy some books. They will help you speed up the learning process
    :P
    Ms Roldan - I have bought your book! It's a great help - thank you. It is very clear and I like your "Time for Action" and "What happened" format.

I am a very new PDI user. I have been following the tutorials in your book to learn PDI and applying them to a sample group of ETL problems, in particular, statistics like mean, standard deviation, minimal, maximum values, etc. to evaluate Pentaho for use in our organization.

The Statistic step cover mean, standard deviation, minimum, maximum, but it does not have Z-Score. I am trying to develop the steps for Z-Score. I read in my file; then do the statistics to get the mean and standard deviation; how do I get the mean and standard deviation to each row so I can compute the Z-score which just takes the difference between the value of the field in the row, divided by the standard deviation? I tried taking the output of the statistical box to another read of the file but while the mean and standard deviation show on the input of the read step, it does not show in the output. In desperation, I even tried to put both the output of the statistics and the read of the text input file to the calculator step and of course, exactly per your book, both inputs must be the same format - how do you read in different files to the same step?

Appreciate your help or help from anyone on this. Also apologize in advance if this isn't the right place to post this. I submitted a question on this as a new thread but haven't seen it show up yet.

Hi Maria. I sent you a private message. Please let me know if you don't receive it. For some reason it is not showing up in my sent items folder. Thx.

When I post a new thread, or reply to a thread, I get a message to the effect that it needs moderator approval. Is there a way to turn that off, for my user id, so that my posts can hit the forum instantly? tia.

How much is that? I doubt very much as a student I could afford it.

Hello Moderator. Can you allow my threads/questions to come onto the forum immediately? It would help me immensely as I try to learn Pentaho/Kettle. Thx.

I don't think I could afford that given that I'm a student.

Wow, my posts just showed up on this thread. Looks like it took 8-10 days, not the 1 or 2 days I stated previously. Perhaps we need more moderators, or community moderated ("flag for removal" button)... something, please. Thx.