Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: JTDS error on windows 2012 r2

Default JTDS error on windows 2012 r2

Hi, I'm moving PDI application from windows 2008r2 to 2012r2 but some transformations that make insert/update on ms sql stops withh errors.
    The PDI version is 5.2.0, db on ms sql 2008 r2
    In windows 2008r2 (and also in windows 2003) works perfectly.
    The error log is:

ERROR (version 5.2.0.0, build 1 from 2014-09-30_19-48-28 by buildguy) : Because of an error, this step can't continue:
    ERROR (version 5.2.0.0, build 1 from 2014-09-30_19-48-28 by buildguy) : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleException:
    Error batch inserting rows into table [Costi_Prodotto].
    Errors encountered (first 10):

Error updating batch
    The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Parameter 23 (""): Data type 0xE7 has an invalid data length or metadata length.

at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableoutput.TableOutput.writeToTable(TableOutput.java:342)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableoutput.TableOutput.processRow(TableOutput.java:118)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.step.RunThread.run(RunThread.java:62)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Caused by: org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseBatchException:
    Error updating batch
    The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Parameter 23 (""): Data type 0xE7 has an invalid data length or metadata length.

at org.pentaho.di.core.database.Database.createKettleDatabaseBatchException(Database.java:1377)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableoutput.TableOutput.writeToTable(TableOutput.java:289)
    ... 3 more
    Caused by: java.sql.BatchUpdateException: The incoming tabular data stream (TDS) remote procedure call (RPC) protocol stream is incorrect. Parameter 23 (""): Data type 0xE7 has an invalid data length or metadata length.
    at net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.JtdsStatement.executeBatch(JtdsStatement.java:1069)
    at org.pentaho.di.trans.steps.tableoutput.TableOutput.writeToTable(TableOutput.java:285)
    ... 3 more

I try to update JTDS jar but nothing changes

any idea?

Looks like some field / row size limitation is violated.
    Since you don't get this error with MSSQL 2008 R2, I assume you made changes to the schema.
    I suggest you check the data type of field #23 - could be a string type with encoding changed from a single byte to a double byte character set - or something like that.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by marabu View Post
    Looks like some field / row size limitation is violated.
    Since you don't get this error with MSSQL 2008 R2, I assume you made changes to the schema.
    I suggest you check the data type of field #23 - could be a string type with encoding changed from a single byte to a double byte character set - or something like that.
    marabu, thanks for reply
    the schema is not changed, the only difference that I have is in what os the pdi (kttle or spoon) starts:

on ms windows 2003/2008r2/7 I have no errors
    on ms windows 2012r2 jobs top with errors (on 5 executions only 1 finish with success)
    input source data and the output destination data is the same, same data

Can I guess that column 23 is a NVARCHAR column?

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez View Post
    Can I guess that column 23 is a NVARCHAR column?
    Column 23 is varchar.
    But if I re execute the job it stop on 16 that is a decimal column, or sometime on a different table that the previous time had no problems.

thanks