Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Spoon CRASH ERROR "java: cairo-misc.c:380: _cairo_operator_bounded_by_source: ..."

Default Spoon CRASH ERROR "java: cairo-misc.c:380: _cairo_operator_bounded_by_source: ..."

When using certain gui features of spoon (like editing code), spoon will immediatly crash with the error

Code:
    java: cairo-misc.c:380: _cairo_operator_bounded_by_source: Assertion `NOT_REACHED' failed.
    So we are running on
    • CentOS 6.6.
      • Kernel 2.6.32-504.e16.x86_64

• PDI 5.1.0

Apparently eclipse has a known issue with this kernel (and later ones). Eclipse has fixed this issue with later releases, however the internal
    version of eclipse for our PDI still suffers the crash.

A workaround that I have discovered is passing the line "-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false" through the opt in spoon.sh.
    This works for my current version, but I am unaware of any side effects (if any at all).

My questions are then,
    • will this be an issue in future versions of PDI?

If it will be an issue...

• Will this workaround cause us any unforseen headaches?
    • Is there some other way to fix this issue that I have not discovered?

That is seems to be swt issue since Spoon uses swt to render desctop ui. This will not affect any of job or transformation existed.
    The workaround is to use newest versions of swt or as you wrote
    "-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false"
    Very good workaround an I suppose this will disable some pretty buzzers and bells for linux ui from swt. The max that it can affect I suppose.

Another option is to use PDI 5.0.1 Stable. This does not have the error stated above.