Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Table input Step

Default Table input Step

Does anyone know how the Table input step delimits fields? I have a transformation that reads from one db with a Table Input and loads to another db. There are a few records with an embedded pipe+tab in one of the columns that are getting rejecting during the load. The pipe+tab is causing a field shift so the data types don't match the destination. There is no option to set a delimiter on the Table Input step.

Table Input doesn't delimit nor separate fields, it simply doesn't make sense.
    You might run into troubles when converting field values into SQL string literals.
    It's easy for you to find out: Just create a table and prepare a test row to load from a Data Grid.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I'm pretty sure it does separate fields. You can preview the data from the step and it somehow delimits the fields in the results it shows you. The only steps I have are a table input and a bulk loader, so there aren't any other steps determining the field separation.

Quote Originally Posted by tbradley1015 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it does separate fields.
    I bet you are.
    However, there's only a field mapping from SQL to JDBC to Kettle - no other form of separation.
    The tab and/or pipe character might need to be escaped for the bulk loading process.
    PostgreSQL for example would expect a tab character come along as \t, but that should be done by Kettle.
    I guess you're in for some quality time with your database manual.
    Try to find out valid characters in string literals.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by tbradley1015 View Post
    loads to another db.
    If you are using one of the Bulk Load tools, then the problem might be in the bulk load, not in the extract (Table Input)
    Try it with just Table Input and Table Output. It's slower, but I bet it will work.