Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Pentaho never launches and gives a xul exception.

Default Pentaho never launches and gives a xul exception.

I downloaded prd-ce 5.2 and also 5.0 and both gave xul exception and did not started. With a close look to the terminal I realized that there may be a "locale" setting problem. While xul class is checking for "window" handler it uppercases it. And when you uppercase in english i becomes I which makes window tag to WINDOW. But if it is turkish "i" it becomes "İ". This makes "window" to "WİNDOW" . Searching for "WİNDOW" by XUL class , throws an exception. After I installed an english operating system (windows and macos) everything worked well. So for all who have following exception please be informed.

Exception:

org.pentaho.ui.xul.XulException: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulLoader.loadXul(AbstractXulLoader.java:144)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulLoader.loadXul(AbstractXulLoader.java:252)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulLoader.loadXul(AbstractXulLoader.java:232)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.designer.core.xul.XulDesignerFrame.<init>(XulDesignerFrame.java:64)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.designer.core.ReportDesignerFrame$FrameViewController.initializeXulDesignerFrame(ReportDesignerFrame.java:471)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.designer.core.ReportDesignerFrame$FrameViewController.access$1100(ReportDesignerFrame.java:457)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.designer.core.ReportDesignerFrame.<init>(ReportDesignerFrame.java:780)
    at org.pentaho.reporting.designer.core.ReportDesigner$CreateReportDesignerFrame.run(ReportDesigner.java:151)
    at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:241)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:727)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(EventQueue.java:103)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:688)
    at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:686)
    at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
    at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
    at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:697)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:161)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:150)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:146)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:138)
    at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:91)
    Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.XulParser.parseDocument(XulParser.java:92)
    at org.pentaho.ui.xul.impl.AbstractXulLoader.loadXul(AbstractXulLoader.java:136)
    ... 21 more

Yes, this is caused by a bug in one of the low-level libraries and is triggered by the Turkish locale, which translates lowercase 'i' into a character that is not a latin upper case 'i'. Start the report designer with any other locale by editing the "report-designer.bat/sh" file and inserting

Code:
    -Duser.country=US -Duser.language=en
    before the "-XX:MaxPermSize.." parameter.
    Get the latest news and tips and tricks for Pentaho Reporting at the Pentaho Reporting Blog.