Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Mondrian 4 Status

Default Mondrian 4 Status

Hi,
    we consider switching from Mondrian 3.7 to Mondrian 4. Thats why I have two questions.
    Can we expect Mondrian 4 to work "stable" apart from missing features?
    Is there any expected release date for Mondrian 4?

Good timing.

There is a release in the coming days this week for Saiku and an optional plugin if you are running CE that will place all of the Mondrian 4 OSGI bundle stuff appropriately on your server to give this stuff a spin. Also the IvySE editor available now on the marketplace will let you have a go at trying schemas. There is a forum thread that you may benefit from where I am working with others to collect information on running schemas on Mondrian 4. http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...GI-IvySE-Saiku

From a Saiku perspective, Mondrian 4 has shipped in the standalone release for some time now and our observations are that it is quite stable and well performing. That's been over the last 12 months or so. Like you, we are just starting down the road of testing our existing schema and queries in Mondrian 4, but so far, really good. Mondrian 4 does a fairly effective job of internally converting your old schema files too.

Long winded, sorry, but I think the answer is yes. You can try it out immediately on EE by adding a parameter to your existing Mondrian schema data sources in the Manage Data Sources wizard by adding the word "Mondrian" and setting the value to "4" under manual settings. Feel free to keep in touch on the issue as we will be actively trying to encourage adoption of Mondrian 4 and smoothing out the environment within the BA server.

The release date question is probably "No firm switch over to only Mondrian 4 release date." The reasoning is that there are still rough edges here and there. One of the lead engineering managers told me that it is very likely to occur that both Mondrian 3 and 4 are shipped with the server release for a good period of time until enough confidence is there to drop the previous.

Thanks for the answer!