Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Passing parameters to Kitchen.bat

Default Passing parameters to Kitchen.bat

Hi,

I want to run a job using Kitchen.bat and pass a parameter called which has been defined in the settings of the Job, with the parameter being called foo.

the job is run on the Windows PowerShell like:

./Kitchen.bat /rep:PentahoRepo /dir:world /job:mainjob /param:foo=testfilename

The jobs runs well, but the default value is used, instead of the value that is passed on the command line.

Looking at the execution result in the Windows shell, /param:foo testfilename seems to be executed instead of /param:foo=testfilename.

Is this some weird interaction between Windows and Java, not accepting the = sign ?

I am using PDI 5.3.0

Okay, I solved it myself.

./Kitchen.bat /rep:PentahoRepo /dir:world /job:mainjob '/param:"foo=testfilename"'

did seem to do the trick.

The documentation says the same...

You can also define parameters during execution like this:

user@host:$ sh pan.sh -file:/tmp/foo.ktr -param:MASTER_HOST=192.168.1.3 -param:MASTER_PORT=8181

Windows requires you to use quotes around the parameter otherwise the equals sign is treated as a space by the command interpreter:
    c:\> pan.sh -file:/tmp/foo.ktr "-param:MASTER_HOST=192.168.1.3" "-param:MASTER_PORT=8181"

No, I have tried the "/param:foo=mytestfilename" before and it doesn't work. '/param:"foo=testfilename"' does work in the Windows command line (PowerShell). So, I guess that the documentation will have to be updated in order to solve this issue in a Windows environment.

Powershell and Windows Command Line are not the same thing.

If you write a bat file to execute your transformations, you can do the "/param:foo=testfilename" method.

Do you have a clearer example of running them in a powershell file? The documentation I linked to is a Wiki, so you can create an account and update it to be more accurate.

Okay, I tested this as well and it is true that the Windows Command Line and the PowerShell are different in this respect. The "/param:foo=testfilename" does work in a regular bat file. Nevertheless, this can be useful information for people who use the Windows PowerShell and PowerShell scripts. I will look into updating this information in the wiki.