Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: HOW TO INSTALL PENTAHI BI CE -5.03 on Windows 2012 R2

Angry HOW TO INSTALL PENTAHI BI CE -5.03 on Windows 2012 R2

Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble setting up the latest Business Intelligence server on Windows 2012 R2 64 bit.

Steps I have taken from various online sources

Downloaded JAVA JDK 8 , set up environment variables, altered JAVA_HOME, PATH, PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME <- played around with all 3, not sure which to set to the java directly exactly.

Extracted biserver-ce, ran the start-pentaho file in CMD, the Tomcat terminal would not open and errors occured, Debugged the set-pentaho-env.bat file to realise jdb.exe is missing from the java directory and downloaded it separately -> Tomcat now opens, not sure if server is running, plenty of error messages and visiting localhost 8080 does not load.

PLEASE advise, how to get this working, have been trying for ages.

Unhappy INSTALLING PENTAHO Business Intelligence CE 5.3 on Windows 2012 R2 *please help*

Hi all,

Have been trying to install this forever to no avail.

downloadad Java JDK 8, played around with setting environment variables JAVA_HOME , PATH, and PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME to bin etc.

Ran start-pentaho.bat from CMD, Tomcat would not run error message: JAVA_HOME variable not set up correctly

, debugged set-pentaho-env.bat realising that jdb.exe was missing hence the script outputs the error message, downloaded jdb.exe separately so now the Tomcat terminal opens but I get a sea of error messages and visiting local host 8080 does not work.

PLEASE advise the correct steps to set up and install the BI server ce.

I know this isn't a good solution, but try Java 7

Go for 5.3 instead and use Java 7 as Java 8 is not supported

Hi,

We've just installed this version on Windows Server 2012 and here are a few things that might help:

You are correct in using Java JDK, but I think you should use some Java 7 version. We use 7.79. I think most Pentaho products struggle with Java 8 (as do a few others).

We currently have these exact environment variables set:
    JAVA_HOME: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_79
    PENTAHO_JAVA_HOME: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.7.0_79

We will probably change the JAVA_HOME variable to latest Java version very soon, but for debugging purposes you could do like we did.

Tomcat did not start at all until we switched to java 7. Tomcat creates a log file at this location that might help:
    [bi-location]\tomcat\logs\catalina.2015-05-11.log (or some other date, of course). If you actually manage to start Tomcat it will output tons of text in this text file. If you only get like 10-20 rows, chances are Tomcat did not start at all.

I'm sure you can get much better answers from someone else, but this might help.