Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Data Integration Connection to MSSQL with SSL

Default Data Integration Connection to MSSQL with SSL

Hi,

I am attempting to configure a connection in spoon to an MSSQL server with SSL enabled and am unable to properly configure the connection.

The MSSQL server uses our own CA Root Authority. I have imported the CA Cert and the public cert into the local java truststore /etc/ssl/certs/java/cacert (this is Ubuntu), and have set the options in the spoon connections property to include ssl = request (I have also tested ssl = require).

Both methods fail to connect and generate this error on the Pentaho DI node:

2015/06/01 13:52:16 - src_customers.0 - ERROR (version 5.1.0.0, build 1 from 2014-06-19_19-02-57 by buildguy) : An error occurred, processing will be stopped:
    2015/06/01 13:52:16 - src_customers.0 - Error occured while trying to connect to the database
    2015/06/01 13:52:16 - src_customers.0 -
    2015/06/01 13:52:16 - src_customers.0 - Error connecting to database: (using class net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver)
    2015/06/01 13:52:16 - src_customers.0 - I/O Error: DB server closed connection.

and generate this error on the MSSQL server....
    "Encryption is required to connect to this server but the client library does not support encryption; the connection has been closed. Please upgrade your client library. [CLIENT: 10.1.1.1".

Here is my configuration (I have also tried MSSQLNATIVE):
    <connection>
    <name>TestConnection</name>
    <server>host.example.com</server>
    <type>MSSQL</type>
    <access>Native</access>
    <database>TESTDB</database>
    <port>1433</port>
    <username>testuser</username>
    <password>Encrypted xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</password>
    <servername/>
    <data_tablespace/>
    <index_tablespace/>
    <attributes>
    <attribute><code>FORCE_IDENTIFIERS_TO_LOWERCASE</code><attribute>N</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>FORCE_IDENTIFIERS_TO_UPPERCASE</code><attribute>N</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>IS_CLUSTERED</code><attribute>N</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>MSSQL_DOUBLE_DECIMAL_SEPARATOR</code><attribute>N</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>PORT_NUMBER</code><attribute>1433</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>PRESERVE_RESERVED_WORD_CASE</code><attribute>N</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>QUOTE_ALL_FIELDS</code><attribute>N</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>SUPPORTS_BOOLEAN_DATA_TYPE</code><attribute>Y</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>SUPPORTS_TIMESTAMP_DATA_TYPE</code><attribute>Y</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>USE_POOLING</code><attribute>N</attribute></attribute>
    <attribute><code>EXTRA_OPTION_MSSQLNATIVE.ssl</code><attribute>request</attribute></attribute>
    </attributes>
    </connection>

As a side note, I have other systems connecting to the mssql server without issue using these certs and SSL, so I believe the certs are in order.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Brian

According to the DB Connection you provided, you're not using jTDS, you're using MS SQL Native, but the error message says you're using jtds... Something doesn't match up here.

----
    Never mind, your post says you also tried Native.
    Did you download the JDBC driver from MS before trying the Native connection?