Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Usage of Execute SQL script step - Pentaho

Default Usage of Execute SQL script step - Pentaho

Hi Team,

I was trying to use the “Execute SQL script” step to execute a Copy statement - feature of Vertica and I would like to perform the following actions in the transformation:

1. Execute an SQL (the copy statement of Vertica database)
    2. Based on the result of execution (Need to either lookup a table/file to note the rejects), rollback : if any record is rejected
    commit: when all records pass through

My DB connection points to a Vertica Table and I have set the option of Make the transformation database transactional in the Misc tab as well. Despite setting this property to true, I note that multiple Execute SQL steps are opening up multiple connections and are not really considering it to be a single transaction.

Here are few links that have pointed to similar issues in the past which doesn’t have the solution mentioned clearly:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...aho-kettle-pdi
    http://forums.pentaho.com/showthread...2-MySQL-5-0-45 (I know that this is a very old thread, still relevant to our context)

Request you to help me if you have some solution to the same.

Thanks and Regards,
    Harshini Ravi

Hello Harshin,

You can use an SQL Script if you want, l would use a Table input step followed by a Table output step with an Error step to trap rejects.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards Vince

Hi Vince,

Thanks for your response. The Execute SQL script step is executing a Vertica database specific "Copy" statement. However, when I use the Table output step, it in turns generates an "Insert into" statement. I tried to compare the performance stats and the Table output step takes atleast twice the time the Copy statement takes to load data into the target table.

Regards,
    Harshini

Harshini,

Yes it will be slower, but it will take care of your second requirement: Based on the result of execution (Need to either lookup a table/file to note the rejects), rollback : if any record is rejected commit: when all records pass through
    Regards Vince