Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: CSV file input has '=' characters

Question CSV file input has '=' characters

A CSV input file from a third party sometimes has '=' characters before some fields, some days it does not.

E.g.
    Code:
    ="01234",BOSTIK,BOS,="80214",="80214",HARD PLASTICS GLUE 20ML TUBE,="0004",="9.99",="9.99",="0.00%",="5000399006190 ",,,
    I'm reluctant to add a Replace In String Step and I'm looking for a general technique.
    How would you cleanse such an input file?

I'm trying to learn...

Why are you reluctant to use a Replace in String?
    If those characters are there, they will be removed; if they are not, nothing will happen.
    I would probably parse that file and strip all '=' characters using some other software.
    Do you use Win or Linux?

An alternative would be to load the file as 1 field, do a Replace in string, then either use a split field step or create a temp text file and read that file with your Text File Input.
    -- Mick --

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_data View Post
    Why are you reluctant to use a Replace in String?
    If those characters are there, they will be removed; if they are not, nothing will happen.
    I would probably parse that file and strip all '=' characters using some other software.
    Do you use Win or Linux?
    I am reluctant because I am picking up around 60 files of different shapes and will get more later. I like to have a general "whole row replace in string" Step available.

I have written a Replace In String Step that applies the same Regex search/replace to each field in the problem file but maintaining these for adding new file formats will be a pain. I can use sed or awk quite happily (on Windows but I have them available). Is it easy to add a step to call an external sed script?

I quite like your other solution and will try it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick_data View Post
    An alternative would be to load the file as 1 field, do a Replace in string, then either use a split field step or create a temp text file and read that file with your Text File Input.

Is it easy to add a step to call an external sed script?
    Try and have a look at the Execute a process step:
    http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/EAI/Execute+a+process
    -- Mick --