Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Unable to Connect to Redshift

Default Unable to Connect to Redshift

Hello -

I have been trying to connect to my Redshift database and have received a variety of errors and the most recent one I am unable to fix. The error is as follows:

Code:
    Error connecting to database [test] : org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException: Error occurred while trying to connect to the database

Error connecting to database: (using class com.amazon.redshift.jdbc4.Driver)
    [Amazon](500150) Error setting/closing connection: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "xx.xxx.x.xx", user "xxxxx", database "xxxxxxx", SSL off.

org.pentaho.di.core.exception.KettleDatabaseException: 
    Error occurred while trying to connect to the database

Error connecting to database: (using class com.amazon.redshift.jdbc4.Driver)
    [Amazon](500150) Error setting/closing connection: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "xx.xxx.x.xx", user "xxxxx", database "xxxxxx", SSL off.

I have modified the pg_hba.conf file to include the specific host. I have also tried using a generic 0.0.0.0 address and neither have worked.

Any recommendations on how this can be remedied?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Not sure if you ever got this resolved. I've had better luck using the postgresql driver to connect to Redshift. I believe if you are specifying the redshift driver, then you must download Amazon's custom Redshift jdbc jar and put that in PDI's lib directory and restart spoon. I had too many problems with the Redshift driver though. Causing namespace collisions with the postgres driver.

"Error connecting to database: (using class com.amazon.redshift.jdbc4.Driver)
    [Amazon](500150) Error setting/closing connection
    "

The above error occurs (code : 500150) because the PDI is unable to access the IP and TCP ports of the redshift cluster you have configured.

You need to change the inbound rule of the Security group section. Enable access to your cluster IP and TCP port in the security group that is used in redshift.

You can also read my blog on setting up redshift cluster and accessing using PDI:
    https://anotherreeshu.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/setting-up-amazon-redshift-cluster-and-accessing-using-pentaho-kettle/

Also, placing both the custom redshift jar and postgresql jar inside the /lib folder of the kettle installation doesnt seems to create problem, atleast in my case.

Post @Rishu please repost blog post link

hi All

thanks for your posts so far - thus far I havent had success getting past the 500150 error - @Rishu please report the link to your blog post - cant seem to access it any more

Quote Originally Posted by Rishu S View Post
    "Error connecting to database: (using class com.amazon.redshift.jdbc4.Driver)
    [Amazon](500150) Error setting/closing connection
    "

The above error occurs (code : 500150) because the PDI is unable to access the IP and TCP ports of the redshift cluster you have configured.

You need to change the inbound rule of the Security group section. Enable access to your cluster IP and TCP port in the security group that is used in redshift.

You can also read my blog on setting up redshift cluster and accessing using PDI:
    https://anotherreeshu.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/setting-up-amazon-redshift-cluster-and-accessing-using-pentaho-kettle/

Also, placing both the custom redshift jar and postgresql jar inside the /lib folder of the kettle installation doesnt seems to create problem, atleast in my case.

Bumping threads from years ago is unlikely to work out well. Authors come and go, and may not be around to answer questions any more.

The web page referenced is still running, but following the instructions as laid out will result in configuring a dangerously insecure system.