Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: Insert/Update and Synchronize after merge

Default Insert/Update and Synchronize after merge

Hi,

Could you please suggest what is difference mechanism between Insert/Update and Synchronize after merge. I hope both steps are using for insert the values if they are new, update the values if they are existing records in target database. But what is the exact difference?

I tried in google and PDI wiki , They provided the info separately for each step but not the differences, please...

Synch after merge is used exactly as it says: after a merge step. The merge step looks at two different data streams and determines which rows are new, which ones are updated, and which ones have been deleted. The Synch step will perform those actions on the DB.

The Insert/Update step will look up the row (based on keys), and if found update it. If the row is not found, it will insert it.
    Last edited by gutlez; 07-07-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Yes i know the process for both the steps and also i got more info based upon your inputs, what i am trying to ask here is, both steps will insert new data and update if they are exist in target database. But which step we can choose in most cases and which step is better in all types scenarios?

In my case Sync after merge step is fast rather than insert update step But i need to check for incremental data for millions of records, this is only pending from my end.

Performance depends on the scenario.
    In some cases, Synch after merge will be better.
    In other cases, Insert / Update will be better.
    In a few cases, Insert with Error Catch sending to Update will be better.