Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: CDA and biserver-ce

Question CDA and biserver-ce

Hello,
    I have used kettle for a while and have a test setup that use Carte to execute the Jobs and/or transformations. While this works fairly well in delivering data and report results; I thought I would check out the capability of the biserver-ce and have now run into many roadblocks. I stumbled on the http://www.webdetails.pt/ctools/cda/...-api-reference and thought I had found some detail on what I was looking for. However; now I am again at the same roadblock as with most other avenues of exploration I have tried for the past week; when using the sample API localhost:8080/pentaho/plugin/cda/api/doQuery?path=public/plugin-samples/cda/cdafiles/compoundJoin.cda&dataAccessId=2&paramstatus=Shipped I get a 404 error.

So I am left with a couple of simple questions; does CDA work with the community edition of the biserver as stated in the reference content and where could I find a definitive feature/function document comparing the community editions and the enterprise edition.

I appreciate any feedback you may be able to provide.

Thanks

John

A few things about ktr and kjb's on the BA-CE or EE server.
    1. You have to deal with authentication, either using cookies, or enabling userid and password to be sent via URL. (Obvious, but a stumbling block). In 5.4 CE and EE there is a new file where you can set a variable to 'true' to enable URL parameters. Otherwise, you can use curl or wget to save the 'session' cookie and use it in the HTTP headers when you call the server repeatedly to execute your CDA queries, which in turn execute your ktr's.
    For this authentication topic see here:
    https://help.pentaho.com/Documentation/5.3/0P0/000/090

The wisdom in using the session variable method, if it is not obvious, is that authentication and authorization can be heavy and time consuming for responding to URL calls passing in the userid and password because such a call is stateless. It forces the BI Server to go through a lot of stuff and immediately flush the work it did preparing to execute the process.

Another gem I'll throw out is to edit your BI Server's start-pentaho.sh script and not only have a decent 'xmx' memory maximum set, but also set the 'xmx' memory minimum to a higher default value. The small memory variable tells the server to immediately lay claim to memory and saves your server from the overhead of allocating more memory later or doing garbage collection frequently.

2. You have actually a few cool options. Yes, doQuery will work as option 1. Option 2 is to look at the 'startupRuleEngine', which you need at the moment to download manually because someone forgot to update the metadata to allow it to appear in the marketplace for 5.4 you can see the URL for all that here https://github.com/pentaho/marketplace-metadata/blob/master/marketplace.xml#L1530
    Option 3 is to use "Sparkl". You don't have to do anything magical. Just create a sparkl application, which ends up creating a folder in your biserver-ce/pentaho-solutions/system/[sparkl app name] and inside there is a directory called 'endpoints'. You can copy your kjb and ktr files there and execute them at will. The advantage of this is that you bypass the repository and can get updates immediately in place without publishing or uploading. That means if you have a test server on your machine, you can use PDI right there to quickly edit, then make a URL call to it. To get the correct URL to call your stuff, create an endpoint within the Sparkl menu system, and then run it to see what the URL is. Steal that, and you're good. Just pattern matching from there.

Good luck. Go create some awesome stuff.
    Last edited by Smoodo; 07-08-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks for the quick reply, it is really appreciated. I will work through your suggestions ASAP.

Thanks Again.

Thanks Again.
    I have worked through your suggestions and in appreciation a response.
    1. I am using a Postman a chrome plug-in for testing REST web services and I had it configured incorrectly to capture the cookie which now works OK with the services I have tried. Your suggestion re saving the session cookie certainly helped.

2. (1) do query works for the sample URL.
    (2) I looked at the github content and unfortunately methinks you assume to much about my knowledge and I quickly abandoned that for now.
    (3) I used Sparkl and successfully worked through a tutorial by http://fcorti.com/pentaho-sparkl/ with a couple of unanswered questions. It appears the data returned by a transformation must come form a step name "OUTPUT". I assume this is to clearly identify the step to retrieve the data from. I can not save a .ktr file directly to the sparkl app name directory as it seems there is some template xml that must be included in the transformation xml and this renders spoon useless. Has any created a tool or script that could be used to merge the template data with the spoon generated xml? Or is there a spoon equivalent on the biserver-ce that I cannot find?

Thanks