Hitachi Vantara Pentaho Community Forums

Thread: XML input Stream with get file names - why not?

Default XML input Stream with get file names - why not?

So, I've tried everything I could think and then some googling but found nothing. So... why can't I use Get File Names' step to feed XML Inpu Stream (StAX) with the files I want treated? One workaround I found was to list the files on a previous transformation, feed'em to a job one at a time, set the filename as a variable on the inner job and THEN use that variable on StAX... but cmon, something that should be done with TWO steps (Get File Names >> StAX) changed into a huge behemoth with jobs and such!

Any other workaround, or a way to solve this?
    Join us on IRC! =)

Twitter / Google+ / Timezone: BRT-BRST
    BI Server & PDI 5.4 / MS SQL 2012 / Learning CDE & CTools
    Windows 8 64-bit / Java 7 (jdk1.8.0_75)

Quote Originally Posted by gutlez
    PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

I'm no expert.Take my comments at your own risk.

There are Input steps from days long gone, that take on a single file only. Younger steps tend to allow multiple input files. Compare XML-Input-Stream to CSV-File-Input - same thing there. While I'm fond of the multi-file capability in Text-File-Input, I never thought bad of XML-Input-Stream. Reason may be, that I never start transformations, I always deploy jobs. So I wouldn't talk of a workaround here, when actually you are missing a shortcut.

You know that you can file feature requests in Jira, too?
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

The CSV Input step does support reading filename from fields, but the dialog only shows this if a step is connected upstream of the CSV Input step.

For the XML Input Stream (StAX) step, I'd recommend looking at http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-629

Quote Originally Posted by matthewtckr View Post
    The CSV Input step does support reading filename from fields, but the dialog only shows this if a step is connected upstream of the CSV Input step.
    Ah yes, I keep forgetting about this particular lack of consistency in Spoon. Thanks for reminding me.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewtckr View Post
    For the XML Input Stream (StAX) step, I'd recommend looking at http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-629
    GOOD GOD 6.X CANDIDATE - but thanks for that, Matthew!
    On the comments, it's been "traded" for http://jira.pentaho.com/browse/PDI-6786 - but still 6.X candidate... guess the only way to do it, then, is the variable workaround =(
    Join us on IRC! =)

PLEASE NOTE: No forum member is going to do your work for you. We will help you sort out how to do a specific part of the work, as best we can, in the timelines that our work will allow us.

so, it seems there's already a community fix for this on https://github.com/pentaho/pentaho-kettle/pull/826 - but me in all my noobiness have no idea how to use it... tips?
    Join us on IRC! =)